Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 08 Feb 96 07:28:22 -0700
From:         Dave Backe <backed@cadvision.com>
Subject:      Wannabus seeks advice (semi-long)

Hi all,

My name is Dave, and I'm a Wannabus.

Over a year ago a friend came through town (Calgary,AB) in his Westy Vanagon on his way home to Whitehorse, Yukon, after several months of hiking and mountain biking with friends through Utah and Arizona and everywhere in between. I never gave it much thought at the time, but every time I came across a Westy after that, something seemed to be calling to me.

Within the last 6 months or so, I've become very attracted to the pre-80's Westfalia buses. There seems to be something very romantic about going on an extended road trip with the wife, no particular schedule or destination, air-cooled engine droning behind you. A sense of independence, maybe. Maybe it has something to do with one of my first childhood memories of spending hours in the driver's seat of my parent's VW bus. It was one of the 23-window jobs with the canvas sunroof. It didn't run, but I didn't seem to care. They sold it before I was 8 (insert Homer Simpson 'doh' here.....).

Anyways, I've been lurking around this list on and off for the past few months looking for a cure to these uncontrollable urges, and it seems the only way to deal with it is to get one.

I'm not mechanically inclined, but I want to be (again, back to the independence thing). I don't mind spending time learning greasy details of how to keep the machine running. I haven't picked up the Muir book yet, but plan to.

I've decided my preference is for a 75-79, 4-speed. I like the newer pop-tops and I'd prefer fuel injection (it can get cold up here, especially this year, and I've heard about some carbeurators freezing up). I'd like to keep the bus for at least 5 years, but probably more like 10 or 15. Because of this, I'm looking for a relatively rust-free vehicle.

I've come across a 77 with 86K original miles (claims the owner). It looks pretty clean inside and out, so I'm inclined to believe her. She bought it from her sister who was the original owner. Pop-top seal is missing, but canvas looks very good. Muffler is missing. Auxilliary gas heater works. Looks like there may be minor oil leakage. She's asking $3000 (canadian) and has turned down someone else's offer of $2400.

I've only examined the body/interior (ie. haven't had a complete mechanical check yet), since I'm usually able to turn away from most busses because of rust. This one has a small rust-through spot on the driver's side front fender panel, and assorted surface rust scattered around the entire body and bumpers, most notably under the window seals. Wheelwells, frame and floorboards all look very clean.

My first question is around rust. How much rust can be realistically repaired without spending a fortune? I'd like to keep the vehicle for 10 years, maybe longer. What could I expect to pay for a complete re-finish (with new window seals, etc...)

The fuel injection system on this particular bus has been replaced by a carb. She said her sister had problems with the FI. She says she hasn't had any problems in winter with the carb, though. It looks like the swap was done professionally. Not sure what type/make of carb, but will find out. Any suggestions as to what to look out for? I was hoping for an injected bus, but if people have had success with certain carbs, then I'd be willing to settle. I'd also assume the carb would be a bit easier to work with for a beginner like myself.

Would $2600 be reasonable for this vintage, assuming a mechanical checkover by a pro found no real problems. Any other things to watch out for here?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I may not be lurking on the list for a while, so if responses could be cc'ed to my other email address at: David_Backe.transalta@Notes_SMTP.transalta.ab.ca I'd also appreciate that.

Thanks a lot, and I'll get back to everyone with the outcome.

Dave.