Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         1 Feb 1996 10:02:31 -0800
From:         "Harvey Chao" <Harvey_Chao@smtp.svl.trw.com>
Subject:      Re: Brake job (1962) - STIL

RE>>Brake job (1962) - STILL!!! 2/1/96

I always keep this in mind when contemplating brakes and get a professional if I'm not comfortable with my own expertise... just a thought.

Did all 4 wheel brake linings on the Vanagon last summer in the following sequence: 1) RR Drum - disassembled/re-assembled about 3 times to get it right - about 1 1/2 hrs (w/#2 son watching) 2) LR Drum - disassembled/re-assembled 2 times - about 45 minutes 3) RF Disk - removed old pads, dropped in new - about 15 minutes 4) LR Disk - Removde old bads, droped in new - about 20 minutes (went to get #2 son from house and show him how it is done)

Conclusions: 1) I HATE DRUM BRAKES!!! 2) Hydrulics inspected "OK" - I try and have the brake system drained, flushed, and refilled about every 2 yrs. 3) # 2 son said "when I get my car I want 4 wheel disks!" [and they work better too] 4) Even with appropriate tools to work on drum brakes to remove/install springs and retainer "nails"/discs, drum brakes are a pain. Requires a fair amount of hand and wrist strength. 5) There is much truth in the old addage of only disassembling one side at a time so that the opposite side on the same axel can be a reference as to how the da-- thing goes back together! 6) Drum brakes, by design, trap a lot of brake dust and are really messy to work on. 7) getting the initial brake shoe setting to match the drum diameter and initial shoe adjustment once the drum is back on is a pain - especially w/o that little tool to measure inside/outside diameters of drums/shoes. Harvey