Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Feb 1996 15:47:32 -0800
From:         wabbott@mtest.teradyne.com (William Abbott)
Subject:      re: '75 in CV hell...

Ruthie, Did you ever get that last bolt out? Someone suggested sawing off the head, and I haven't seen any comment on the subject since.

I gotta agree with everything you said about working on clean stuff- since I work on my cars in part for pleasure, I make sure I have a clean car to work on. Makes all the difference. Also and especially CV bolts- when I was taking mine appart, there were three CV bolts (of 24) that I couldn't get loose. My brother showed up, cleaned them thoroughly and got them removed in under 45 minutes. *I* figured I could take it apart and THEN clean it... Dumb.

I'm a big believer in easy-outs, using mine at least once a year for some old piece of equipment. I've only ever had one bolt fragment that the easyout couldn't remove, and it was a steel bolt in an aluminum head. It had been 8mm, I drilled and tapped it for 1/4"-20 and replaced the new bolt regularly :)

I recently bought the Griot's Garage set of left-handed drills and easyouts and while I can't claim the leftie drills have solved any problem completely, I DO feel better about torquing the remains in a direction I want them to go versus tightening something I want loosened. Last thing i used them on were completely shot set-screws for my fiance's closet door knobs. I was able to extract the set-screw from each, chaised the threads with the correct tap (quarter-turn, back off a quarter turn, half turn, back off a quarter, half forward, quarter back, that's progress) and fit new set screws. I felt like Hephestis (who forged thunderbolts for Zeus) and Jean doesn't have to use a screwdriver to get her coat to go out.

Cheers! Bill