Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 31 Jan 1996 22:11:46 -0700
From:         rickgo@halcyon.com (Rick Gordon)
Subject:      re [F] Extra large engines

>Last I saw on PBS a show called something like 'B-29: Frozen in time'.

I saw this too last night. These guys reminded me of some of the enthusiasts on this list who discover some ancient 'craft' out in someones field and spend the next year bringing it back to life!

The engines are air-cooled, with 18 radial cylinders. They had this beater of a plane they were using to get back and forth to Greenland in and they had to keep working on it as well. And they even brought new engines and installed them. I'm telling you, the parallels were striking.

Oh, and what's even worse about the ending: they were trying to take off across a frozen lake. In a couple of weeks after the fire, the plane sank to the bottom!

they seemed to take it pretty well though. (at least on camera.)

-rick

Rick Gordon Bainbridge Island, WA, USA ------------------------------------- rickgo@halcyon.com http://www.halcyon.com/rickgo/ finger for PGP public key fingerprint -------------------------------------