Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 1 Feb 1996 11:08:09 -0800 (PST)
From:         David Schwarze <des@teleport.com>
Subject:      Re: some Weber / carb questions

A Brandon Smith writes: > > there is a nut on the bottom side of the carb where the fuel line > attatches. This has a slight oil drip. What is this nut and, what > kind of thing can be done for the drip?

Unfasten the nut and you'll probably find a fuel filter. The leak is probably not oil, but dirty gas. Fix this - a rebuild kit should include a new gasket, or make one yourself out of gasket paper.

> On the front (FIF) and the bottom of the carb is a hose that goes to > the oild breather. what's this for, and what is an oil breather's > function? Is the oil breather the same thing as an oil cooler bath?

AFAIK, a hose from the oil breather should attach to the air cleaner, not the carb. I believe the oil breather is basically a crankcase ventilator.

> On the back left is a square peice, with a screw in each corner, and a > round piece in the middle that says WEBER. There is a lever in the > middle of the round piece. When I move it, it sounds like something > is opening up. What is this?

Sounds like the accelerator pump.

> Now for the screws. There are five that I saw that were adjustable. > If some one could tell me, I'd love to know what each of them is for. > > 1) back, right, angled a bit, attached to the piece that moves when > you give it gas.

Sounds like an idle set screw.

> 2) back, center, and low. has a spring on it.

Probably idle mixture.

> 3) one to the right of the place where the gas line attaches

Dunno about that one.

> 4) and one at the front.

Ditto. Need a better description, including what "front" is. A better way to orient ourselves is to describe things relative to the side that the throttle attaches to. Those carbs mount in all different directions on different engines. On my Capri it actually mounts at about a 15 degree angle.

> Where is the choke and how do I check it?

The choke consists of the plates in the venturi and a mechanism to control their position. This mechanism is usually a coiled spring which is heated either by engine coolant (but not in this application!) or an electric heating element. Look for a round flat-ish canister with a place to attach a spade terminal. There should be a metal ring around the outside with three screws in it. Loosen the screws until you can swivel the canister. Turn the canister so that the choke plates are horizontal (i.e. closed) when the engine is cold and vertical (open fully) when the engine is hot. That's not a very good description but I hope it sort of explains it.

-David

============================================================================ David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) San Diego, California, USA '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) e-mail: des@teleport.com '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (14.17@99.34) http://www.teleport.com/~des '93 Weber WG-50 (Da Piano) ============================================================================