Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 9 Feb 1996 19:24:25 -0500
From:         DHaynes57@aol.com
Subject:      Re: 88 Westie Front End Noise?

In a message dated 96-02-08 02:20:47 EST, kirk@lansharks.batnet.com (Kirk van Druten) writes:

> >88 Westie Front End Noise? >I've had a rumbling/clunking type noise in the front end of my 88 Westie for >a >while now. I thought the front shocks were shot and finally got around to >replacing them. Unfortunately the noise has gotten worse with the new >shocks, >not better. Now the sound is more of a 'klunk'. > >The sound I hear/feel is at speeds under 20mph on fairly bumpy surfaces. I >can >feel/hear a hollow clunk or two or three or four depending on the frequency >of >the bumps in the road. The sound is particularly pronounced on the passenger >side but I do hear/feel it on the drivers side intermittently. > >To troubleshoot I removed the shock on the passenger side. The noise was >reduced and/or eliminated. Next I'll swap the shocks from side to side to >see >if the noise follows. These are KYB gas shocks and appear fine to visual >inspection. > >Questions: >1. Could the shock itself make a clunking type noise that I could actually >feel? The top and bottom bolts are as tight as can be. >2. Is there something else in the front end suspension that having a new, >stiffer shock would cause to show signs of wear/looseness? >3. What else moves up and down under there that could cause such a noise? > >Any suggestions/comments are greatly appreciated! > >Kirk out > >Kirk van Druten >lansharks@batnet.com >88 Westie-->that goes knock-knock-who's there? > >P.S. I'm in digest mode so please copy my email address as well-thanks.

Sounds like upper control arm busshings. Dealer gets big money for these. Available at good FLAPS for half price. Read bentley manual for instalation. Must tack welded to hold them. Proper shims very important. Come in three sizes. Buy set from dealer. Sohld be snug fit around frame head. To loose with bolt pulling arm together will cause quick failure or lots of squeking noises. Dennis.