Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 01 Feb 96 15:22:11 -0500
From:         Tom Forhan <tforhan@house.hr.gov>
Subject:      Re: Eurovan prices

Matt Dekker said > > Over the past year (yes, it is an obsession) I've been shopping for > Eurovan. While I know VW dealers are going to be more than non-VW > dealers, and dealers in general are more expensive than individuals, > it seems the Eurovans command premium prices beyond blue book and > competing vans' prices.

I'm sorry I do not know anything about Eurovan prices, but I do know that dealers *routinely* put their used car asking prices *above* Blue Book retail. It isn't just Eurovans, let me assure you. Ignore what they are asking. Decide what you want to pay based on how much you want the car, and what you think is a fair profit for them.

> P.S. I am primarily interested in working with VW dealers because > I'll probably trade in a low milage Golf III. (snif.)

Why? Why not sell it yourself, and save some serious bucks. If you don't want the hassle, at least drive the car to some other VW dealers, and get bids from more than one.

There does seem to be a mystique about buying used cars from a dealer who sells the same brand new. But I do not think this results in more dollars in the original owner's pocket.

The used car buyer may presume the PO traded for a new version of the same car, and thus was very happy with the older car. Actually, dealers trade cars among themselves all the time, i.e. the Volvo dealer trades a Mercedes received in trade for a Volvo the Benz dealer took in. So maybe the prior owners weren't so happy with the vehicle anyway!

Tom F.