Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 2 Feb 1996 00:05:49 -0500
From:         DHaynes57@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Vanagon diesels

In a message dated 96-01-31 20:52:06 EST, limbo@bcn.net (Jim Digennaro) writes:

> >Hi Justin, > Was reading your post questions about diesels and thought I might add my >$0.02 worth. > First, yes, Vanagon diesels are just like a rabbit diesel, most of the >parts are interchangeable. They came with a 1.6L and were offer from >'81-'83. In 83 you could get a vanagon with an air-cooled motor, diesel or >the new water-cooled flat-4 1.9L engine. Yes, they are slow, the engine >only produces 48hp. The trans is geared much like a split window bus. But >they get great fuel mileage, average about 30mpg. Most parts are still >available, and are not to expensive. > When I bought my Westy diesel the engine was shot. The bearings had >worn out do to antifreeze in the oil and lack of oil pressure. I had the >choice of either rebuilding the diesel, with new crank and rods to match, >or replaced the diesel with a used gas rabbit motor. I went with the gas >motor. It was cheaper, and at the time I didn't have a lot of time to do a >complete overhaul. Besides, I heard that it could be done and I'm a sucker >for trying new things. So far the motor has been great. Right now I having >problems with the fuel injection. But baring that I think that the gas >motor has been a good choice. Anyway, the diesel, is a good motor, maybe >slow but it's reliablity and relatively cheap to maintain makes it a good >choice in my opinon. If you do decide to get a diesel vanagon you could >always do a gas transplant. In line-4 water cooled motors are quite >plentiful in the salvage yards. I hope this answers your questions. Good >luck finding one. > > Keep on Busin' -Jim D

Hello Jim, Did you convert the fuel system over to that of a gas vehicle or are you driving an improperly vented, non vapor revcovery, emmision illegal time bomb. Although I see the benifits of this conversion, this last step should not be over looked. Just thought I'd enter some fuel for thought. Keep on Bussin' Dennis Haynes.