Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (February 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 5 Feb 1996 15:39:17 -0400
From:         smitht@jupiter.sun.csd.unb.ca (Tim Smith)
Subject:      Re: shift box for syncro

>When my local 'ASE' certified mech. replaced my tranny on my 87 syncro, he >had to replace a piece of the shift linkage in an attempt to get the shift >pattern to work (reverse was way left, hitting my gas pedal knee and very >hard to get into first). The new piece of linkage helped some: the pattern >is tighter, but still way left and first is not quite as difficult to >engage. The mech. said the shift box also needs replaced. Problem is he

If you mean the tin box hung under the floor below the shifter, I can't see how it got fritzed. It's well protected and only sees some slight sideloads from the base of the lever. There is a chunk of pot-metal that makes up the reverse drop-down lock, and controls how far sideways the shift lever goes. If the reverse lock is gone you may nick gears, that's all. Try loosening the two bolts on the floor, just pull up the shift boot and use a 13mm wrench. Pushing the adjuster plate to the right will get the shifter away from your knees when in reverse. A newer adjuster plate is available, but you don't gain anything judging by the looks of it. Did your mechanic get the splines on the shaft (that is under your bus) back together properly? It sounds like the splines are a couple of teeth out, which may explain some of your alignment probs. Took me 3 tries to get it together so that the stick is in the right position and reaches 1/2 and 3/4 gears OK. It is a careful balance to reach both gates easily, I still nick 2nd unless careful. Tim Smith