Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Mar 1996 11:06:49 -0700 (MST)
From:         ZUMBRENNEN JOSEPH CORY <zumbrenn@ucsu.colorado.edu>
Subject:      Why I bought a Westfalia (was: Tires)

Thanks to everyone who shared their knowledge with me about the BFG All-Terrain tires:) I wish that I could get such good info on every other desicion I had to make! The background is as follows...for the last 2 years I have managed to save enough money to take the summers completely off (sublet apartment, postpone job, etc), and just sort of wander(read drive) around the US and Mexico in my Pathfinder. Well, this summer (yeah I managed to pull it off again:), I decided that I wasn't even going to attempt to live in the Pathfinder for another 3 months, so I started looking around for more suitable contraptions. First I was going to tow a camper around with me, but then I saw the light, er, Westfalia. These campers where so cool. I couldn't believe that I hadn't considered one of these before. Then, after a little more research, I discovered the Syncro...I was sure that I had discovered the perfect automobile. AWD, high ground clearance, house, etc...Book Value around $8000 for an 86. $8000 was a little much for me, but if I could find a really good deal I might be able to pull it off. Yeah right!! Today in the Denver post there are 4 '87 Syncro Campers for sale. Prices are: $20,000/best, $18,000/best, $16,000, and a Cheap(?) one for $13,000. Book Value for an '87=$9,500. If you ever have a Syncro Camper you would like to sell, sell it in Denver. Anyway I got a good deal on the 86 Westy that I got. $4,800, 129K, white, no rust, mechanics thumbs up. I could likely sell this car tomarrow, given my location, and time of year, for $8,000. But that wouldn't buy me a Syncro, so what's the difference. Someday, man, I'm tellin' ya...I'll have a syncro. But in the mean time I'm going to slap som BFG All-Terrain's on the "average" Westy, and take it as far away from cement as I can.

Cory '86 Westfalia