Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Mar 96 15:31:29 EST
From:         Crazed Idiot <sbart7kb@www.mwc.edu>
Subject:      starter/solenoid: final chapter

Hey all, Well, went today to pick up my rebuilt starter from Pep Boys. Paid the other 50% of the price and took it home.

Got the starter in easy enough, threaded the 15-mm nut on the stud down below and then, thankfully, a friend walked by and I employed his services to put the bolt and 17mm nut on. Got everything tightened down, then hooked up all the vacuum lines and other things I had to disconnect in the engine compartment to get to that damn nut. Got back under the car and hooked up all the electrical connections to the starter. Put the wheel back on, cranked that sucker down, hooked the battery back up, and that's when the idiot factor set in:

Get in the driver's seat, turn the key to on, lights light up, turn the key to start, starter cranks (very nicely!), engine catches and then immediately dies. Try it again and same thing. Try it again and engine doesn't even bother catching, it just keeps turning over. I figure I've probably flooded it by now so I sit and wait for a minute. Try it again and same deal. Get under car and check the fuel pump connection on the solenoid. Looks OK to me. Try again. Same thing. So I sit on the curb for a minute and think. I wonder to myself if I've hooked everything up. Get back under the car and feel around for loose wires. Sure enough, hiding behind that big heater hose I found a connection that's supposed to go on terminal 30 of the solenoid. Hook that up, crawl out, try starting again and it starts right up! That wire probably had something to do with the fuel injection. I duplicated the condition that had caused the car not to start before and it still starts. So I guess the trouble was in the solenoid.

Now, when I got my new starter at Pep Boys, they didn't take my old one back like most places do. So now I have a starter that I need to get rid of. The solenoid is bad but the starter motor itself is A-OK. If anybody wants a spare or one to rebuild, let me know. I have no use for it. The starter is for a '78 bus (but I imagine it will fit from '76 to maybe '83.5, if the Vanagon 2.0L used the same starter) with a manual transmission. I know there's a different starter for those buses with automatic transmissions. If anybody wants it, let me know.

Thanks for the help everybody, I like it when a job ends up working out successfully.

Take care, Sean