Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         14 Mar 96 18:21:00 +1800
From:         GOLDBERG_DAVID@mpd.tandem.com
Subject:      My gas milage woes-resolved?(79 Westy)

All,

A few days ago I posted my lack of satisfactory gas milage. In response there were some comments made about the carb conversions, and what have you, and Joel suggested that it may be my choke not working. Only one thing had changed that I had forgotten about. I took the Bus to Motormania(highly recommended to central Texans, and others passing through the Austin Area) to have pushrod seals installed as I hadn't moved into my new house w/ garage yet. Well, the head mechanic, does business at store I own, did a minor tune up. One of the things he had done was adjust the carb(Weber Progressive). Finally this dawned on me, and I checked the mixture screw, and it was waaaay out, a real rich mixture. So I adjusted it back to where I usually put it, and today made a run to Austin VeeDub for a part. Needless to say, the needle on the gas gauge barely moved, where the same trip the other day would cause the needle to move a good bit, my milage before my adjustment last night was about 12 mpg, where I adjust it to, it is about 18 mpg. Yes it was warmer today, than last week, but it has been warm for three days now, and the gas milage still sucked until I made the adjustment. Goes to show that even good mechanics can make a _small_ mistake.

I don't work for Motormania,I'm just impressed with them. Cheers, David