Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 02 Mar 1996 10:04:31 -0800
From:         jimdee@nas.com (Jim Durham)
Subject:      '78 Westy questions (Newbie)

Hello all!

First, I would like to say thanks to all of you and the priceless information you have already given me while looking for my bus. I have been subscribing for a while now, and all the tips helped.

I have wanted a Westy for a couple of years (a college buddy had a cool one) and have been actively pursuing one for a couple of months now. Last night, I finally found the right bus (even though it was more cash than I was going to spend). A puke eggnog light brown Westy in great shape. No rust, no major structural, my local shop inspected it and said it just needed an air filter, and it was only on its second owner. For only a hair over $3000, it seemd like a fair deal (at least here in Western Washington).

BUT, even though I have another VW (it's newer) and I used to know people with buses, I have some incredibly DUMB QUESTIONS...

1. How do I light the pilot for the icebox? (yeah, start laughin')

2. The PO had a propane aux. heater in the bus, but he took it. Should I replace it with a like one, or is a gasoline heater better/worse? (I have seen these mentioned here on the digest...)

3. Lastly, (awaiting a roar of laughter) can I put unleaded fuel in this thing? Back in the '70s, I was under the impression that nearly everything ran on leaded, and it's tough to find around here. *Some Mechanic Guy* told me that if I did not put leaded gas through it, the valves would suffer. Is that true, or is it solely actane related?

Anyways, Thanks in advance. Replies and flames welcomed

'78 Westy '95 Jetta GLX

Everything seems better with a homebrew.