Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Mar 1996 09:59:47 -0600 (CST)
From:         "Joseph F. Fournier II" <jfourni@comp.uark.edu>
Subject:      Bus Resurrection Musings (a little too long)

You never know until you check. Someone started rambling a few weeks ago about rust treatment...that led me to the local toxic shelf at Wal-Mart where I found this stuff called "One-Step" which claims to turn rust into primer. Yeah, right. What it seems to do ...and I'm no chemist... is stop the oxidation process and seal the rust. I guess you could call that primer, but it seems like a reach to me. (*WARNING: If you check into this, read the label; it's kinda scary...rantings about "blood problems" in laboratory animals. Maybe this will go the way of halon?)

Anyway, I realized that my rusting bus might have a chance for long life if I could stop most of the rust, so I decided to go for it. 'Sides, this One-Step only costs $3.5 a can; not much to loose for the experiment. (I already have protective gloves, goggles, etc. If you don't, be sure to read the label.) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ So far, so good. I started in the cargo hatch above the engine compartment. I knew there was rust there under the cushion. Darn, it goes under the fold-down seat...so I took that out. Oh, man, here it goes under the closet...out with the closet. I kept going and now my westy interior is in the garage along with the plywood floor and wall panels. What I found were spots of rust and lots of white paint. Seems some PO must have been THE actual IDIOT even Muir could not reach. Looks like he/she saw rust spots forming and sprayed paint over them (probably chanting "rust, rust, go away" and smoking seeds and stems).

In pursuit of my experiment, I've discovered some very interesting things:

1. Louvered windows aren't hard to remove, but they're a little tricky to reinstall. Top goes in first, but not too far. (And missing half of the screws in that louvered window may account for the rattle I'm always hearing.)

2. Leaky vent-wings will lead to ...or at least contribute to rust holes in the floor/side of the bus. (I'm gonna have to replace this; any tips on economical solutions appreciated. Seals and parts for these are expensive...I'm thinking of getting a solid glass window and loosing the vent wing. Not a GOOD option, but one I can afford.)

3. My bus must have spent some time partially under water. I keep finding fresh water clam shells. Of course, these could have been implanted by some furry inhabitant (or maybe the DPO got the munchies REALLY bad one time), but they do show up in the d*mndest places...like inside the auxiliary heater duct. Hopefully I've found the last one.

4. I've piddled around with body repair on the bus since I got her last July, but I really didn't feel like I was getting anywhere. With the interior out, I feel like I am. (I would love to just strip everything off the bus: engine, tranny, shifter linkage, lights, top, etc. and tackle the body; then reassemble. Too bad I don't have a good setup to do that.) Of course, I'm working from the inside out, but now, for example, instead of seeing the rust hole in front of the rear passenger wheel from the outside only, I can see both sides and make a valid assessment of the damage.

Later today, I'm planning on removing the roof panels. I know these will be a pain to reinstall, but they're a little warped and part of my process is to remove the fiberglass/asbestos insulation. I'm planning on doing the foam insulation thing.

I have definitely embarked on a summer project. I wish I could take time off and just work on the bus until she was completely healed, but I know this isn't possible for me.

I'm happy to report that (contrary my earlier thoughts) my bus probably isn't doomed to rusting away into oblivion...at least not in the next 10 or 15 years. 8) Joe

---------------------------------------------------------- Joseph F. Fournier II <jfourni@comp.uark.edu> 501.575.7353 <a href="http://comp.uark.edu/~jfourni/"> Joe Fournier</a> ----------------------------------------------------------