Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Mar 1996 18:35:19 -0500 (EST)
From:         William Alan Killian <killian@qnet.com>
Subject:      Re: appropriateness (was Re: finding bad syncro wheel bearing)

> Buzz. Thanks for playing.

Cute. You goofed of course but it was an attempt to be cute.

> The answer we were looking for: Our good ol' gummint won't let me > buy a brand new VW bus. I think this is the sort of interference Steve is > referring to, and it bugs the crap out of me. I cannot purchase the vehicle > I love and desire because some dork-in-a-tie decided that my vehicle of > choice is too dirty/unsafe for me to own. This has nothing to do with being > a ditto-head (I am most emphatically not, although we see eye to eye on > some issuses), and everything to do with my personal freedom to own a new > VW transporter being legislated away from me. Uncool, in any political > form.

VW makes buses. Whether you can get them or not has nothing to do with the government. I got a new VW bus just a year or so ago. Nobody considers it dirty or unsafe. It is I believe highly rated in the safety categories. You can't get the old rear engined buses because nobody was buying them anymore. It was a market decision to go to the EV/T4. The beetle and rear engined bus were dropped when they dropped in sales. Like it or not that is true.

If VW doesn't import EVs/T4s again it is a market decision not a governmental one.

Oh you want a Mexibus. I doubt it. The Mexican VWs do not live up to the German VWs. If the original VW was like the Mexican made ones there would not likely have been a VW Beetle phenomenon. The desire for the Mexibugs and Mexibuses is an emotional tie to the German ones.

I've conversed with the other poster involved before this latest one. We pretty much agree on most things. I was ina funny mood because of running a fever up to 103.8 Does weird things to the brain.

The government has imposed safety regulations on auto-manufacturers. But it has specifically ruled any single design as untenable. You can make a safe beetle. (VW is trying a variation on that.) You can make a safe Bus. VW makes one. I have one. It great.

Nothing to do with guys in ties. I live in among many of the governemnt workers since I'm just outside of DC. I even did a contract at DOT. The guys involved didn't actually wear ties. Drop the stereotypes.

bill and diane killian zen and the art of ferrets http://userwww.qnet.com/~killian/zen_home.htm