Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Mar 1996 00:46:08 -0500
From:         Vdubdude@aol.com
Subject:      Rust treatment, or repair?   please read (a little too long)

>You never know until you check. Someone started rambling a few weeks ago >about rust treatment...that led me to the local toxic shelf at Wal-Mart >where I found this stuff called "One-Step" which claims to turn rust into >primer. Yeah, right. What it seems to do ...and I'm no chemist... is stop >the oxidation process and seal the rust. I guess you could call that >primer, but it seems like a reach to me. (*WARNING: If you check into >this, read the label; it's kinda scary...rantings about "blood problems" >in laboratory animals. Maybe this will go the way of halon?) > >

Joseph,

You mentioned that you found something at Wally World that you spray onto rust and the rust turns into a lovely little primer. You sounded skeptical. Is the product called "Extend"? If so, I have used this on some restorations before, and was slightly disappointed. It seems that you have exactly 24 hours in which to paint over this "paintable suface", no more, no less. I made the mistake of leaving this stuff exposed to the elements for about two days once and it started to rust through the treatment area! I should have known. I didn't follow the directions to the letter, and I expected the treatment to be some type of barrier to moisture. That was foolish on my part. If you are using "Extend", be forewarned. You must paint the small treatment areas as you create them or it is possible (even out of the direct weather) that you could again be painting over little rust "seeds" waiting to again erupt under your paint and eat away at what little steel is left in some of the worse rust areas of your beloved Westy.

I've stopped using Extend brand rust converter. I started using Eastwood Company's CORROLESS brush-on or spray-on rust converter as it is thicker and sands nicely as it is reletively thick. It also contains tiny glass fibers so as a coating, it seems to be very strong. I have coated with this and left it in the weather for months expecting to have to recoat the area due to my laziness. However I have never, even in positively sticky weather, seen this product allow a rust bubble to again pop up under its' coating

I THEN had the opportunity to see firsthand the effects that sandblasting had on a rusty piece of steel. I was amazed to say the least. When sandblasted, a rusty piece of steel has ALL of the rust removed. There's nothing left lurking under the paint to again cause havoc with a poor little VW again. Sandblasting also gives a microscopic texture to the surface of the part or panel that gives the paint "tooth". This effect is excellent for paint adhesion. Imagine how much easier paint can hold onto a sandblasted surface than that of a pressed smooth panel with little or no (microscopic) surface texture. Just as with any sanding, though, sandblasting can create heat (though it most likely won't remove healthy steel as a grinder would). There have been many cases of overworked sandblasters warping someone's part as a result of staying in one spot too long before moving on to the next area. The job must be done with moderate patience and a little strategy. Results can be fantastic, or tragic.

I have given up miracle coatings for sandblasting. I have a 5 hp air compressor in my home garage, and a Harbor Freight plastic shoulder carried blaster that holds 10 lbs of media. I can usually blast for about five straight minutes with 10 lbs of media. A hundred pounds of fine washed sand cost $3.00 here in SC. I can afford this. I can turn out prize-winning restorations with this and my mig welder, my spray gun, my dual action sander, etc. (I am no professional bodyman)

I am currently replacing a driver's door on my newly aquired $100 derilict '83 Westy. I called my local VW junk guy and ordered a rust-free, dent free, bondo free Vanagon door. I got one with only a couple of rust holes, and it was only dented in two places (one was a ding, the other was droppage damage while removing from donor Vanagon). I was forced to accept this, as he had the only door for 120 miles. I had to rid the door of the rust, I used my blaster. I nailed every speck of rust on that door and used epoxy primer/surfacer on top of that. I will have a well restored door that I will not have to worry about for at least 10 years, even in this soggy coastal air.

Sorry to have bent your ear for so long. I want to keep these wonderful vehicles around at least as long as I am. Anyone have any experiences / comments to share or maybe even questions? (I do not purport to be an expert on bodywork, nor a corrosion engineer)

Ric (not to be confused with that OTHER Ric) VdubDude@aol.com

primo '82 Vanagon 7-pass derilict '83 Westfalia restored '81 5000 diesel modified GTI '79 Dasher 3 door soon to be the owner of the only '81 Jetta Convertible Diesel in the world!