Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Mar 1996 00:08:41 -0600
From:         ehintz@mail.utexas.edu (Edmund A. Hintz)
Subject:      Re: appropriateness (was Re: finding bad syncro wheel bearing)

At 6:35 PM 3/15/96, William Alan Killian wrote: >VW makes buses. Whether you can get them or not has nothing to do with >the government. I got a new VW bus just a year or so ago. Nobody >considers it dirty or unsafe. It is I believe highly rated in the safety >categories. You can't get the old rear engined buses because nobody was >buying them anymore. It was a market decision to go to the EV/T4. The >beetle and rear engined bus were dropped when they dropped in sales.

Sure, there's lots of VW busses to be had. But not breadloaves. I didn't mean to say that VW no longer makes busses, only that the folks in charge won't let me bring home one of the styles I happen to like. I guess I didn't articulate that very well, sorry. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I do believe that the beetle was discontinued because it no longer was able to meet emmissions standards, set by the federal government.

>Oh you want a Mexibus. I doubt it. The Mexican VWs do not live up to >the German VWs. If the original VW was like the Mexican made ones there >would not likely have been a VW Beetle phenomenon. The desire for the >Mexibugs and Mexibuses is an emotional tie to the German ones.

Mebbe so. I'd like to learn that one the hard way please, thank you. > >I've conversed with the other poster involved before this latest one. We >pretty much agree on most things. I was ina funny mood because of >running a fever up to 103.8 Does weird things to the brain.

Ok, guess my not having a fever made me look at this from a slightly different point of veiw. > >The government has imposed safety regulations on auto-manufacturers. But >it has specifically ruled any single design as untenable. You can make a >safe beetle. (VW is trying a variation on that.) You can make a safe >Bus. VW makes one. I have one. It great.

Again, I didn't mean to say VW makes no bus, I meant the gov. don't let me have bus I want. Me want Mexibus. They no let. Me mad. > >Nothing to do with guys in ties. I live in among many of the governemnt >workers since I'm just outside of DC. I even did a contract at DOT. The >guys involved didn't actually wear ties. Drop the stereotypes.

I hereby apologize to each and every tie wearing person that I unwittingly insulted. But I seldom see politicians that *don't* wear ties. I'm not talking about the stiffs that do the work, I'm talking about the bums that make the laws. *They're* the ones that say I can't import a MexiBus. End of story (and post).

Peace, ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Edmund A. "Eddie" Hintz **|** "You may say I'm a dreamer, Voice Major, UT Austin * | * But I'm not the only one... <ehintz@mail.utexas.edu> * /|\ * I hope someday you'll join us, '70 Primered Transporter */ | \* And the world will live as one. '73 Orange Super Beetle ***** Imagine." Web page: http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~ehintz ------------------------------------------------------------------------