Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Mar 1996 00:35:30 -0600
From:         ehintz@mail.utexas.edu (Edmund A. Hintz)
Subject:      The big head job

Hey now, Spent about 9 hours today on my knees, crawling around my engine on the ground. Got a lot done, too. Here's the gig: Thanks to Bob's hand holding post of yesterday, I calculated compression on my new heads. Got the syringe from the vet, they gave me a 60cc syringe (look ma, no marble!!) for free!! Ran all the numbers, and it came out to a 7.6 (rounded up) and I decided that was close enough for me as I had no ride to the parts store. Besides, I religiously run Chevron 93 octane, and don't plan on going to PEMEX. While the engine was out, I replaced the fuel line coming from the tank and going to the metal tube through the tin. Bolted the heads on per Bentley, nothing to it.

Then, I cleaned everything. Did I mention that I cleaned everything? Used gas as a solvent, so I guess my kids will be green, if I ever have any. Got it all beautiful, even the heater boxes! Been running J-Tubes since last fall, as my boxes were in need of help. Cleaned 'em up real good, hit 'em with anit-rust paint, and cut the ends off and put on the little extender dealies they sell for about $5. Inspected the clutch, still looks good.

New rubber seals! Very cool, I don't think my baby's had new rubber in the engine compartment since 1970. Got the engine seals and the engine door seals, all in and looking pretty. Hopefully make her run a wee bit cooler. Speaking of cooler, I also soaked and cleaned the oil cooler. Cash was a bit of a problem, so I had to pass on the doghouse cooler, that'll have to come whenever I do a full rebuild. With all the grime gone, she should run a bit cooler anyway. The new pushrod tubes should help with cooling as well. The hot weather here in Austin is what has me so uptight about cool, I need all the help I can get. It's not hot yet, but it will be!

So, on tomorrows agenda: Put the engine in the bus (engine tin paint is drying overnight). Valve adjustment. Bumper and rear skirt back on. Gas in the tank, and a run to whereever I want to go! Fahrvergn=FCgen!

Peace, ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Edmund A. "Eddie" Hintz **|** "You may say I'm a dreamer, Voice Major, UT Austin * | * But I'm not the only one... <ehintz@mail.utexas.edu> * /|\ * I hope someday you'll join us, '70 Primered Transporter */ | \* And the world will live as one. '73 Orange Super Beetle ***** Imagine." Web page: http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~ehintz ------------------------------------------------------------------------