Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Mar 1996 19:52:34 -0500 (EST)
From:         William Alan Killian <killian@qnet.com>
Subject:      Re: appropriateness (was Re: finding bad syncro wheel bearing)

> Sure, there's lots of VW busses to be had. But not breadloaves. I > didn't mean to say that VW no longer makes busses, only that the folks in > charge won't let me bring home one of the styles I happen to like. I guess > I didn't articulate that very well, sorry. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I do > believe that the beetle was discontinued because it no longer was able to > meet emmissions standards, set by the federal government.

The split window bus was replaced by the bay window when VW thought that it would improve sales/reduce costs. The bay window bus was replaced by the brick when VW thought it would improve sales/reduce costs. The brick was replaced by the front engined model when VW though it would improve sales/reduce costs. The beetle was replaced by the Golf when VW though it would improve sales/reduce costs.

The governement never said "stop making that model". VW did have to meet regulations and replacing models when the costs were too high was part of the picture. The Bay window did not die due to regulations. The Beetle did not die due to regulations. Plain and simple. The bay window was replaced by what VW thought was an improvement. Its a matter of personal opinion whether they were right or not. I don't know the sales figures. But I doubt the baywindow would have fared better against the mini-vans than the vanagon. Too clunky for the US market at that time. The beetle was replaced by what ended up selling better. The phenomenal Golf basically revolutionaized the small car market. Everybody imitated it - even the Japanese. How many imitation Beetles survived? (Okay outside of France - R10 and Citreon - who even made one. The Corvair was more of a Karman Ghia/Porsche competitor, I'd think.)

> >Oh you want a Mexibus. I doubt it. The Mexican VWs do not live up to > >the German VWs. If the original VW was like the Mexican made ones there > >would not likely have been a VW Beetle phenomenon. The desire for the > >Mexibugs and Mexibuses is an emotional tie to the German ones. > > Mebbe so. I'd like to learn that one the hard way please, thank you.

I personally am glad the government does prevent shoddy dangerous products. Better to sacrifice a few manneguins than my own precious skull. But the government does not prevent VW from importing Beetles and water cooled pseudo-baywindows (it ain't really what you think it is anyway), it merely has a minimal (and it is minimal) safety level required. Some of the restrictions aren't good. The US was behind the rest of the world in getting good holgen due to the US holding on to out of date restrictions.

> >The government has imposed safety regulations on auto-manufacturers. But > >it has specifically ruled any single design as untenable. You can make a > >safe beetle. (VW is trying a variation on that.) You can make a safe > >Bus. VW makes one. I have one. It great. > > Again, I didn't mean to say VW makes no bus, I meant the gov. don't > let me have bus I want. Me want Mexibus. They no let. Me mad.

VW won;lt let you have Mexibus NOT the government. VW could make the Mexibus importable but it isn't worth the costs. You have too few people on your side (or VW sees it that way anyway). They imported Vanagons - which aren't THAT much different really in base idea. A Mexibus could be made that met restrictions. VW doesn't think that sales would be worth the investment.

> I hereby apologize to each and every tie wearing person that I > unwittingly insulted. But I seldom see politicians that *don't* wear ties. > I'm not talking about the stiffs that do the work, I'm talking about the > bums that make the laws. *They're* the ones that say I can't import a > MexiBus. End of story (and post).

Don't blame politicians for regulations. Blame politicians for blaming other politicians. And its VW, repeat VW that says you can't have one. Porsche imports a (basically) air-cooled rear engine automobile. VW chooses not to update their designs to the acceptable level.

bill and diane killian zen and the art of ferrets http://userwww.qnet.com/~killian/zen_home.htm