Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Mar 1996 17:31:20 +0000
From:         "Harry Yates" <hyates@bcit.bc.ca>
Subject:      Zymol Wax....your van with love it! (long)

Hi Everyone. Well, I finally got to apply this wonderful product to the van today, and thought I would report this to the list.

For Christmas I got a Zymol "starter kit" which included HD-Cleanse, Vinyl, Clear Bathe, wax, and a towel. The HD-Cleanse is a cleaner which is used prior to applying the wax, the Clear Bathe is a special soap for washing, the Vinyl is for the interior. All Zymol products are free of petroleum distillates, non-toxic, and natural. I upgraded the standard wax to the Zymol Fantasy Acrylic. Our van is white, and this wax has 35% carnuba content.

I had a "paint sealant" applied to the van when we bought it, 6 years ago. I thought at the time this was a smart move. Well, with white, the paint gets dirty, and it needs to be cleaned anyway, so might as well do it right. The paint treatment didn't let the paint oxidize, but there is very little you can do to maintain the paint without the special chemicals which they WON'T sell you. Also, the paint, eventhough shiney, wasn't smooth and soft. This is probably why the dirt was "sticking" to the paint.

Well, I was able to remove the previous sealant with the HD-Cleanse. This is non-abrasive and it does the work with apricot extracts, and other plants. It also works *very* well. This product is a liquid. You put it on the paint and rub it with medium/hard pressure in straight lines. When it turns "gummy" you buff it off. This product will also remove the hairline polishing marks, etc. I gave the van two coats of this stuff to make sure the paint was properly cleaned. When you are buffing the product off, the paint will "squeak" indicating that it's clean. This was fairly hard work... not removing/buffing, but actually working this stuff into the paint to clean it. The van looked *very* clean after doing this. I paid special attention to all the body seams, etc using an old toothbrush.

Then I applied the wax. WOW!! You use very little wax. It is a paste, and is put on with a sponge (supplied). You put on such a small amount, and then lightly buff it off. As the paint starts to shine, you buff harder to an unbelievable gloss. You must remove the wax before it dries.. ie/ in about 30 seconds after applying it. There is NO residue from this stuff.. even with the HD-Cleanse. You can put it on rubber and it won't turn it white like conventional products. I gave the van 2 coats of wax.

I now have to wash it to "set" the wax. This step isn't really necessary, but it hardens the wax and increases the shine. I'll do that tomorrow.

The Zymol products aren't cheap initially, but they work out to a few cents per application. You can barely tell that I've waxed the van twice by looking at the container. There is just a slight depression in the wax. This kit cost me $120 CDN (with upgraded wax, and a bigger HD-Cleanse), but the cost per application is very reasonable as you use very little.... even with a big van. I purchased this through an outfit in Victoria, BC, but there are other locations in the US. Do a search on Zymol through Infoseek, etc. BTW, you can buy a liquid Zymol wax at Canadian Tire, etc for about $24 CDN. This has less than 8% carnuba content, and is a liquid.

I am very happy with the results from this product. I've used many different waxes over the years, and this product is very impressive. The van has *never* looked this good!!

Waxed out, and pooped !

Harry.

----------------------------------------------------------- Harry Yates, Burnaby, BC, Canada '90 Syncro Westfalia email:hyates@bcit.bc.ca '87 Golf Diesel WWW:http://www.bcit.bc.ca/~hyates