Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Mar 1996 23:14:14 -0500
From:         Vdubdude@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Zymol Wax....your van will love it! (long)

>Hi Everyone. Well, I finally got to apply this wonderful product to >the van today, and thought I would report this to the list. > >

>The Zymol products aren't cheap initially, but they work out to a few >cents per application. You can barely tell that I've waxed the van >twice by looking at the container. There is just a slight depression >in the wax. This kit cost me $120 CDN (with upgraded wax, and a >bigger HD-Cleanse), but the cost per application is very reasonable >as you use very little.... even with a big van. I purchased this >through an outfit in Victoria, BC, but there are other locations >in the US. Do a search on Zymol through Infoseek, etc. BTW, you can >buy a liquid Zymol wax at Canadian Tire, etc for about $24 CDN. This >has less than 8% carnuba content, and is a liquid.

I use Zymol. I detail cars professionally on the weekends (it's a nice break from fixing VW's for a living) for a little extra money. I highly recommend the Zymol product. I use the liquid wax in the bottle. I buy this from Wal-mart here in SC for $18.00 per pint. It seemed really steep to me at first to pay that much for a wax when I could buy one of those "hi tech" plastic waxes for a couple of dollars. But then I started thinking about my experiences with those plastic waxes ovet the years. They beaded water for a little while, made the rubber white, didn't seem to shine the paint any, and were hard to remove and buff. Using Zymol is an experience. It applies smoothly (if your paint is smooth. this wax is not a compound. it will not remove imperfections or oxidation from your paint. Buff your van, or have a detailer do it. tell him that YOU want to wax it.), and it removes smoothly. For the follow-up wash that Harry was talking about, I merely apply a very light mist of clean water from a plant sprayer, and buff with a clean terry bath towel (use a nice one, this stuff is all natural, and your van shouldn't have a speck of dirt on it at this point). The resulting brilliant shine is nothing less than breathtaking on one of my well detailed cars. Buffing the paint on a vehicle should be considered a repair, not a maintennance. If you use a good quality wax on a bi-monthly basis, you should never need to buff a shiny vehicle again. Remember, you only have so much paint on your van, and buffing removes a little of that paint each time.

Whether you like it or not, the primary purpose of the paint on your vehicle is to keep the steel from biodegrading (rusting). The longer you can keep the elements off of your paint, the better. I think it's just good strategy to have two layers of protection istead of relying on just one. If your paint is faded and metallic, chances are that it won't buff up. ALL other solid paints will buff back to perfectly shiny. No exceptions. you should see my cars.....

Ric (not to be confused with that OTHER Ric) VdubDude@aol.com