Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Mar 1996 23:14:18 -0500
From:         Vdubdude@aol.com
Subject:      Re: '54 deluxe progress (suggestions)

> > Did more sandblasting today. Dean (busfarmr) came by and helped. >The blasting itself is pretty straightforward and easy, its just trying to >get the undercoating off the wheelwells and stuff thats a pain. Any >suggestions here would be appreciated. I'm thinking about >getting some heavier media to use for these areas.

You serious about trying some of my suggestions? Well, here goes...

Your looking to remove something that was deposited with a solvent as a vehicle. Undercoating can be more easily dissolved than worn away. Try Easy-off oven cleaner. It should dissolve all of that stuff. It may leave a chemical residue, though. But blasting afterward may remove that. You might also try gasoline (dangerous), Zip-strip aerosol (residue again), or you may heat the undercoating with a heat gun and scrape it off with a putty knife (round the sharp edges of the putty knife with a grinder) just like you would remove varnish from a valuable old piece of furniture (no residue).

The problem is that you're trying to blast something away that is absorbing the energy of your media. It is deflecting the grains of sand like a beach ball would repel a baseball if thrown at it. If you check, your undercoating is probably getting warm from the energy, getting soft from the heat, then eroding with the sheer overwhelming flow of media.

Just a thought. Good luck!

Ric (not to be confused with that OTHER Ric) VdubDude@aol.com