Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Mar 1996 02:55:06 -0500
From:         Ramonavan@aol.com
Subject:      On (and off) The Road

West to East, East to West. By train, by thumb, by plane, by a Dean Moriarty-esque jalopy; I now find myself resting my haunches somewhere in between, reflecting on my travels, especially those of late, but all of them really since one does lead to the other and help to perpetuate the need; the hankerin' to do itagain. For me, the preparational stage of a road trip is always strangely peripheral and uninteresting. Although, I should say these begrudged skills have unwittingly honed over the past 8 years or so, simply by the old-fashioned methods of trial and error, like getting a small yet uncomfortable electric shock at precisely each moment your conscious mind realizes you're 30 miles offa the nearest rural route, making camp at 10p.m. in the back woods of northern Virginia with less than half a can of propane for your trusty Coleman, a flashlight starving on generic batteries, and no opener for the last can of Pork-n-Beans. Sigh, curse, feel your way to the Juicy Fruit in the glove box, curl up in the back of the van, and make a mental note: Get more stuff. When my partner and I first made the decision to move from New Bedford, Ma. to Grand Junction, Co., all I could focus on was the ~getting there~. I had gone from Ca. to Ma. by train, from R.I. to Ca. by plane, but always resentfully because what I really wanted to do was drive it. This was my chance and it was only being made more perfect by the prospect of doing the haul in Ramona, my '71 Camper. Suffice to say that putting in address changes and wrapping glasses in newspaper was the furthest thing from my mind. I thank my stars for Lynne and her uncanny ability to pick up where I leave off and still appreciate where I am and what I'm thinking when I oughtta be doing something else. I was already weaving down Highway 50, somewhere in Pennsylvania when Ramona tapped me on the shoulder one day while tooling over the Braga Bridge towards New Bedford, approximately 2 weeks before our "real" scheduled date of departure, by squealing, fizzing and dropping mph to 25; no Gen light, no Oil light, just "Dread" in ugly, naked, intrusive neon, stealing me away from my mind's highway, towing me into the local VW Dealership. That's where I ended up, not where I started. There's a relatively small shop that speciallizes in older model VW repair in eastern Ma. called VW Bus Heaven. I'm sure many of you have heard of it or even been there. I had heard of it through Limbo literature and their ads in VW magazines, and the name alone allured me, so I called and spoke at some length with Dot, the co-owner who seemed really into what she did and genuinely interested in my predictament. After the initial incident on the bridge, 'Mona seemed to get a kind of second wind, and no longer showed outward symptoms of serious distress. A quick compression check at a local garage had showed moderately good compression and offered up a false assurance that a valve adjustment and general tune-up was all she needed to get us there. Even though VW Bus Heaven had a waiting list of about 2 weeks, Dot said she'd squeeze me in that following Monday since I was pressed for time and she knew I wanted it done right, by someone into doing it right. My confidence was growing and over the next few days I encouraged Ramona and promised she'd get to camp out that night after she went to the Doctor's. All three of us were looking forward to this finallizing day of "preparation" and the rewarding camp-out in the New England woods. I remember that July Monday morning drive clearly because it was one of my really communal trips with Ramona. It was only about an hour and a half trip but the gorgeousness of that morning combined with the affinity I was feeling with Ramona made it seem like we'd just keep driving forever; no gas, no food-stops, no aches, no sundown; jus' me and my bus and the whole sun-shiney world gleaming off our goofy grins. Yeah, it's the gettin' there. It's the gettin' there. When you turn the key off and pull the brake there's this faraway sound just above the new quiet; a kind of soft, sloughing like magic retreating. Hard to put your finger on it unless you're right inside the moment, but if you love bein' in your van then you know it yourself. **Since my tale is such a lengthy one and, more importantly, one I need to expel, I will write and submit it in installments. This will also help curb any possible annoying effects it may have on those of you being submitted to my cathartic purgings!*****So, more to come....*****