Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Mar 1996 09:21:01 -0700
From:         dlytle@as.arizona.edu (Dyer Lytle)
Subject:      battery tray rust removal

Hi all,

Over the last week I spent a number of hours cleaning up the battery tray in my '66. Thought I'd write a note to the list describing my experience. I am preparing to put an engine in 'Red', my 1966 standard microbus. The long block is being built in California and I'm hoping it will be here within a month. So now's the time to get the engine compartment clean an tidy.

Two weeks ago I pulled out the gas tank, cleaned it inside and out and repainted it grey, then I cleaned out all the dirt, sand, grunge, etc. that I found in the engine compartment. While I did this I found that the only rust present was around the battery tray.

I found that, while the battery tray itself was solid, there was a coating of rust on the tray as well as on the surfaces around the tray (inside the right, rear, corner of the bus, on the wheel-well and the area between the battery and the engine seal).

Surface rust, no holes. I don't have to replace the panel, easy....

Or not. (!)

Now I know why people use sand blasting equipment and/or miracle-cures like Extend or POR. Yikes, what a pain in the butt!

I used a combination of "Navel Jelly", sandpaper, wire brushes, wire wheels on power drills, etc. and it took quite a lot of work. Eventually, I got all the rust off of every surface I could find, down to nice bright shiny, (pitted in the area directly under the battery), metal. Then I sprayed a couple coats of a rust inhibiting primer. Finally, I re-sealed the body seams around the tray with some auto-body caulking compound. I may give it a coat of shiny enamel once the caulking is completely dry.

During my experiments at removing rust, I found that the most effective treatment I tried was to coat the rusty areas with Navel Jelly and then use a very stiff wire brush, the typed used to clean up welds, to scrub as much rest and scale away as possible. Then leave the Navel Jelly on for at least 30 minutes, then wash with water. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.

Also, anybody know a good place to get tail-light to body seals (rubber)? The best price I've seen is "Wolfsburg West" for $9.50 each. Also, is there any source *at all* for the little rubber cover on the back of the license plate light, that covers the wire connections?

Cheers,

-Dyer

------------------------ Dyer Lytle dlytle@as.arizona.edu http://as.arizona.edu/~lytle HST NICMOS Project Steward Observatory University of Arizona ------------------------