Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Mar 1996 11:41:27 +0000
From:         ajax@why.net (ajax)
Subject:      Re: Mods to install door speakers in v-gon?

> The paper cone door speakers just don't cut it, and I want to install some > 5.25 in speakers in the same area as the current 4" flush mount speakers. > However, the window crank handle arcs over the current 4" speakers. In > order to install the 5.25" speakers, the crank handle would have to be > spaced out further from the door surface since the 5.25's stick out 1/8 to > 1/4.

> Has anybody else put larger door speakers in the v-gon doors? I don't > really want to move them down further for fear of kicking them. > > One further question: what kind of aftermarket sound systems have list > members installed in the v-gon? I was thinking 5.25 mid/tweeter separates > in the doors, a 3 way amp driving them and an 8" woofer in the board under > the rear bench. Then at a later date, adding another 2 way amp driving > 6x9's in the airconditioning unit where the rear 4" speakers are. >

I have an 85 GL and installed 5.25" Sony "mids" in the lower part of the door panel and Sony tweeters behind the factor grills. This improved the sound up front incredibly. They are only driven by a 4 x 20 watt Blaupunkt amp too! For the rear, I replaced the factory enclosures with Blaupunkt surface mount RL4500B's driven by a 2 x 40 watt amp. Then to finish it up, I made an enclosure with (2) 6" subs to fit underneath the middle bench driven with a 100 watt mono amp. I used PAC active crossovers from Crutchfield to "cross" the system because I could most easily fit them behind the dash.

The sound is fabulous and actually better in many respects than my BMW with more sophisticated aftermarket equipment. If you would like any details, let me know. The speakers and amps were not high end components but they sure sound like it.

Greg Gregory V. Robinson ajax@why.net tcdfw@aol.com (TwinCell: 2 Cellular Phones / 1 Number) 85 BMW 535i 157K (BMW Digest) 85 VW Vanagon 135K (Vanagon List)