Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         19 Mar 96 09:10:20 EST
From:         J  Greenberg  G Jannini <73321.3047@compuserve.com>
Subject:      Sorry, Tires Again?

<< I've got an '89 Westy and its got some 185/??/14 passenger car tires on it. Not good, but they were on it when I got it a couple of years ago. I'm in the market for tires and I'd like to get something bigger. Like 205/70's I know they'll fit, but aren't they too wide for my 5" wide steel wheels.

I also have an '89 Westy on which the PO had replaced recommended tires with Sears LT's non-reinforced 185x70. After ignoring the recommendations of the mechanic who inspected the vehicle for me, after a while I realized that replacing them was a necessity. It handled like a pig above 55MPH and in windy conditions or when being passed by a semi, it was a genuine white-knuckle experience.

On the remommendation of an NTW salesman I replaced these with reinforced Michelin MXL 205x70's. These fit on the original wheels, and the wider footprint is an advantage. The price each was $76.00, the total for balancing, disposal and tax was $341.78.

These tires make all the difference in the world as far as handling in winds etc, on dry pavement. In rain they are ok, in my opinion. They wear well too; I've put 33,000 miles on them with no trouble. Since I live in Altlanta, I can't speak for handling in snow or ice. I'd buy another set unless someone can show me something better.

George