Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Mar 1996 15:19:16 -0800 (PST)
From:         David Schwarze <des@teleport.com>
Subject:      Buy the list admin a beer!

Okay Volks, Here is your chance to give something back to the guy that is responsible for running this list. You know, the Vanagon list, the one that has provided you with priceless information, new friends, and occasionally some good humor. :) Recently someone on the list mentioned that they would like to buy Gerry a beer. I posted some information on BOTM (Beer of the Month) clubs that will mail new and exciting microbrews to one's house every month for a price. Thirty minutes later I had mail from half a dozen people committing funds for this purpose. So, I propose to do the following:

I will research the BOTM clubs and find an appropriate one (reasonable cost, good beer).

List members send me contributions to pay for it, and I'll subscribe Gerry to the service.

I will create a web page detailing the cost of the service, and contributions received. Question - should I list names and $ amounts of contributors?

As needed, I will request more contributions from the list to keep it going. will use 100% of the money I receive to pay for the beer, Steve! :)

I will keep the subscription going until funds run out or Gerry gets tired of those beers littering his doorstep (yah right!!).

Here's what I need you listmembers to do:

Mail a contribution to me at:

David Schwarze P.O. Box 84183 San Diego, Calif. 92138-4183

It can be any amount you like. I would recommend $5 or $10. US funds prefered, but I'm sure I can find a place to convert Canadian or other funds. Most of the clubs seem to offer 4-6 beers a month for around $20, so $5 would be "buying Gerry a beer", $10 would be "buying Gerry two beers", and so on. Checks are preferred, but cash okay too if you're willing to risk it. As soon as I have enough to cover a 3 month subscription (most BOTM clubs want at least that to start) I'll start the service. If the response is good enough, we should consider buying Joel a subscription too, since he played a large part in getting this list started too. For those who mailed me privately about this, please accept this post as a response. :)

Sending a contribution will be considered a one-time thing - I won't badger contributors for more donations in the future, although I will post to the list at large when funds run out.

#define SOAPBOXMODE ON

So how about it? Shall we all buy our list administrator a beer or two? Don't you agree he deserves it? After providing us with this list for free for two years, it's about time we did something to pay him back.

#undef SOAPBOXMODE

-David

============================================================================ David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) San Diego, California, USA '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) e-mail: des@teleport.com '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (13.986@100.81) http://www.teleport.com/~des '93 Weber WG-50 (Da Piano) ============================================================================