Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Mar 1996 13:26:59 +0100
From:         verbeek@the-hague.stbv.slb.com (Brian Verbeek)
Subject:      NOS parts & Old engines.

Yesterday i bought two 25 or 36 Hp muffler installation sets, original VW, still in their original two piece box in very good condition. SP satz 216 and 216A. They include two muffler to head gaskets, two manifold to muffler gaskets, the four exhaustclamp-halves, four Kamax 8.8 bolts, four nuts (which are thicker than a standard M6 nut), the two gasketrings and their metal rings and a few short M8 bolts. Can someone tell me if these sets are for a 25 or a 36Hp?

The same guy has a box of 36hp valve cover gaskets and box of sumpplate gaskets, original VW he says, the box is real, but is it correct that the vavle cover gaskets are light wood-colored? The cork-grain looks not very dense and they are about 1.5 to 2 mm thick. I worked for this guy (one of the bigger VW-shops in the Netherlands) but he could be wrong, just like me he doesn't now very much about the pre '60 cars simply because we don't have a lot of those. I want to buy this stuff.

He bought all this from a retired man who worked his whole life at a VW dealer.

He told me i was to late and that he sold most of the stuff, but since i know his customers and what they drive etc. i think that most of the stuff he sold was post '64 or so. His wife saw that i was interested in the old motor parts and showed me some stuff, an incomplete original VW 1500 piston ring set in original box (anyone: please let me know if you have some org. VW NOS 1500 piston rings so i can buy this set and make it complete) and NOS piston rings for a 25hp, old, but not orginal VW.

Then i saw what i think were old Bus taillights, used, in very good condition. They were 2 to 3" in diameter and had chrome bezels with the Hella logo on it. they were not flat but a little bulged. The profile consisted of rings and did not look like a reflector (that's why i'm not sure) They have brackets that bolt onto the rear, these brackets look simmilar to the brackets you sometimes see on aftermarket gauges. Can someone tell me if these are really from a Bus? I would like buy those too.

Then his wife mentioned that they also had a '47 engine from that same old man. The tinware is missing and i haven't seen it yet. I was told it has the fixed oilcooler. I was looking for an old engine to restore, with restoring i mean like having the same paint VW used on the tinware, original gaskets, nuts and bolts etc. I can verify the engine number but i could use some help regarding things like carb, distributor, heads etc. so i can determine how complete it is.

While we're on the subject, i went to see another engine a few weeks back, it was said to be a 36Hp but when i was there i saw it had a detachable generatorstand. The case looks not the same as a 40 Hp 1200. I must add that this engine has never been in a car, it's an industrial engine that powered a waterpump or a generator or something, it had a vertex magneto ignition (missing) and the generator is empty, it only holds and drives the fan. it is in very good condition in terms of an undamaged case, straight tinware, complete, and never been abused in a car, could this be the '59 intermediate engine i heard about? VW stamped 122 in the case just before the enginenumber, the tag on the fanhousing says Type 122, btw, the tag looks the same as in a VW car. All tinware is green and that looks like the original paint.

Please contact me if you have any info regarding these subjects.

Thanks in advance,

Brian.