Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Mar 96 16:14:57 UT
From:         "Scott Allred" <Scott_Allred@msn.com>
Subject:      '71 Clutch Cable

Hi Volks,

About 5 or 6 months ago I replaced my clutch cable because it had stretched beyond adjustment. At the same time I replaced the bowden (sp) tube, got a new clip to attach it to the pedal and added a new wing nut.

About 2 months ago the clutch started to feel strange -- kind of stretchy/springy and then the clutch began to progressivly drop nearly to the floor before releasing and then it finally broke at the pedal end. (This all happened while I was running an errand in about 2 hours lapsed time.) The cable's forward end was completely frayed when I removed it.

Now the same 'stretchyness' and clutch 'losing adjustment' is beginning to happen and I am assuming that a similar thing is going to happen to the cable again. The Wayback is parked while I pick up another cable today. Tonight I will R&R the cable again.

My question is: Have I just gotten some bad cables (1st-Bus Stop, 2nd-VW FLAPS) or is there something basic that I am missing? The installation 'seems' very basic and I've use plenty of moly-lube.

Thanks--

-Scott '71 Westy, the Wayback Machine http://coyote.accessnv.com/wayback