Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Mar 1996 10:07:26 PDT
From:         "Shawn Wright, SMUS Network Analyst" <swright@smus.bc.ca>
Subject:      88 Surging & Idle updates

After studying my new Bentley book over the weekend, I now have a much better understanding of what's what in my 88 Westy. (one comment - I was a little disappointed by the Bentley, as compared to the one for my Jetta - at 1/2 the price, the Jetta one has much more descriptive text on the procedures)

1st I checked the timing - it was right on the mark. I then did a quick idle adjustment without disconnecting the stuff listed in the book, just to see how it drove home from Vancouver. Idle seemed to stay between 850-1000 cold & hot now.

Last night, I did the full idle check - unplugged O2 sensor, unplugged idle stab. plug near thermostat - it was *very* dirty (not sure what effect this would have...), pinched PCV hose, then checked throttle switch with a meter. Hmmm. Switch is still open at idle position. Full throttle - closes ok. Slowly reduce throttle - switch opens.... stays open at idle. hmmm. Tried a few times slowly - same thing. I then tried snapping thottle closed quickly - the switch closed at idle! This may explain why problems only occur during slow steady driving. Tried to adjust switch but small screw is stripped & corroded.

How hard is it to remove the throttle body/switch? Is the switch a sealed unit, or can I clean it up?

Also another note: I noticed chirping noise & some missing. Checked plugs - all were looser than 15ft/lbs, so I removed, applied moly grease & torqued in. It nows purrs at 900 rpm!

*--------------------------------* | Shawn Wright, Network Manager | | St. Michaels University School | | 3400 Richmond Rd, Victoria, BC | | Canada V8P 4P5 | | (604) 592-2411 Fax: 592-2812 | | swright@smus.bc.ca | *--------------------------------* I haven't lost my mind; I'm sure it's backed up on tape somewhere!