Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Mar 1996 11:06:11 -0800 (PST)
From:         David Schwarze <des@teleport.com>
Subject:      Re: Overheating symptoms?

Rick Gordon writes: > > I'm going to argue these numbers a little bit - my opinion only, nothing > personal. The advice is sound though - you'll learn a lot more about the > engine > under load with gauges installed. > > With these stats you'll never get over any mtn passes, at least not in the > summer. The heads are going to get hotter than 350F, hell that's their > normal operating temperature! If you're climbing a mtn with it, start > worrying over 550F. Oil temperature can arguably get hotter - water doesn't > boil out until 210F. Oil pressure will get lower as the oil temp rises. > Also the head temp sender *will* mount in the spark plug hole in a 1980 > engine, and its pretty much the same as the 78-83. The head temp gauges are > kind of pricey - if you only get one, put it on #3 cylinder.

I appreciate your response, Rick. I agree that the heads get hotter than 350 - that figure was based on having the sender installed in the stock sensor location, which is tapped into the side of the head. My engine indicates around 250 under light load, and goes up to ~325 going up long hills. Listmembers have reported much higher temps at the spark plug, and I believe it. What is important though is being able to see the temp increase over "normal", which works no matter where you locate the sender.

As for the sender, I am using the VDO sender and there is no way it will fit. The spark plug is recessed and there is maybe .050" clearance around the plug. You can mash the sender in there but there is no way it will lay flat. This is for stock heads and Bosch plugs. If one were to have the spark plug hole flycut a little it may fit, or it may fit if you use a different sender, or different plugs. But why mess with it? There is a nice place to mount the sender already tapped into the head which won't interfere with the spark plug.

I should elaborate a little more on oil temp too, I guess. I mentioned not driving the bus hard if the temp goes over 230. I didn't necessarily mean to pull over and let it cool at that temp. My opinion is that if your gauge is reading 230 the oil is probably more like 280 at the bearings, and under an extreme load I wouldn't want to count on the oil protecting the engine at that temp. If you're using synthetic oil, maybe higher temps are permissable. My engine only hits 210 degrees going up the grapevine (a 4,000 ft 6% grade). If you are seeing temps of 250+, it is my humble opinion that your engine is overheating. :)

-David

============================================================================ David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) San Diego, California, USA '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) e-mail: des@teleport.com '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (13.986@100.81) http://www.teleport.com/~des '93 Weber WG-50 (Da Piano) ============================================================================