Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 3 Mar 1996 10:02:07 +0000
From:         sw@smus.bc.ca
Subject:      Yahoo! (no longer a wannabus!)

Hi all!

I am very happy (and I'm sure many are relieved to hear..) to say we are now the proud owners of a white '88 Westy!!

I would like to say a very big thank you to all who have helped me out with invaluable tips and advice over the past months (you know who you are!)

Although I still love the loafs, and hope to have one someday, the brick westy just made more sense right now, and it felt right. After listing all the things needing attention, I was able to the price down to $8300, including having them fix an oil leak, and pressure test the cooling system and repair *any* source of leakage. They are an ex-VW dealer, but are still authorized for service, so I expect they will do the job right. This last clause was due to a fair amount of steam from the exhaust when cold, although I couldn't detect any other signs of h/g leakage.

It is also missing the main table & leg - I've sourced one for $125 - does this sound fair?

And it will need new poptop seals soon - is there a good source in Canada for these, or should I get them in Calif. when were there? I'd heard that Calif Imports in Vancouver carried the West Coast Metric stuff... Is it possible to get seals without the metal clips which rust away?

Our Westy also has some rust under the rubber mats in the front footwells, around the four holes - what is a good way to deal with this before it gets worse?

Again, thanks to all of you for your help, and here's hoping I can start offering some in return!

Shawn. ============================== Shawn Wright, sw@smus.bc.ca '85 Jetta TD, 341k (Jenni) '88 Westy, 322k (Kyra) ==============================