Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Mar 1996 12:43:00 -0800 (PST)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@gi.com>
Subject:      Engine temperature non-problem

Here's a problem I wish I'd had with all my cars to date.

When the V6anagon's PO put in the engine, he put the radiator and its cooling fan in the front, with a diesel-vanagon grille. Not wanting to create more problems than he already had, he simply wired the cooling fan to run continuously whenever the ignition was on, even when the engine was newly started and still cold.

I maintained this scheme, for the same reasons, while I sorted out other problems. Got the temperature gauge working, and it showed the car running very cool, 160-170 degrees if you can believe an aftermarket gauge. The engine also felt/seemed much cooler than the cast-iron V8 in my Mustang, which also runs pretty cool, so I was happy.

Gas mileage continued to suck, though, even after I finally installed an electric choke and adjusted the idle jets to run a lot leaner than they had been. Thought that maybe the carb's main jets had been changed to a larger size, or maybe started that way (PO put it on new, a Holley 2bbl new out of the box), to make up for the poorer fuel vaporization produced by too-cool running.

Anyway, last night I installed the correct Chevy temperature switch to turn the cooling fan on and off, and re-wired the fan to use it (through a relay, as the Citation originally was). Started it up, and the cooling fan did not come on, which was what I expected of course. With this temperature switch, it's supposed to come on when the coolant temperature gets to around 210 degrees., then shut off when the temp drops back to around 200.

Here's the problem: The engine never gets that hot, even with the cooling fan not running!

So the cooling fan never comes on. The temperature gauge sometimes rises higher than it used to, up to right around the 200 mark, but never any higher. I've driven the van around, hammering on it a little to try to make it heat up, but no dice-- I haven't heard a peep out of the cooling fan since putting in this switch. Checked the switch with an ohmmeter before hooking up the fan-- it's open-circuited at room temperature, as you would expect. I should have dipped it in boiling water to make sure it closes, but I'm not that intelligent-- just bought it and screwed it in. But if the gauge is correct (anyone wanna bet?), then the fan should indeed not come on, because the engine temp never reaches its trip point.

My question for the list:

All you Diesel-Vanagon and Wasserboxer drivers out there, how long after you start your engines, does it take for the cooling fan to come on? Particularly in springtime weather-- it's around 60 degrees here in San Diego where I'm doing this.

I'm sure I'll have better success(?) making the V6anagon overheat in July when it's 90 in a traffic jam, and the cooling fan had better come on then, if not sooner. But right now, I think it's just laughing at me. Wouldn't be the first time.

Well, I can feel look-daggers coming my way already, due to my "complaining" about a car that just won't overheat, as well as the mention of 60 degree evenings in San Diego in March, so I'll close for now.

Thanks in advance, ladies and gents...

--------------------------------------------------------------------- Steve Maher smaher@gi.com '80 V6anagon w/Chevy 2800 '66 Mustang Coupevertible, for sale

Check out the cars at http://www.lookup.com/homepages/76242/home.html

*** What part of "Shall not be Infringed" don't you understand? *** ---------------------------------------------------------------------