Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 1 Mar 1996 08:19:11 -0700
From:         "Michael A. Radtke" <m.radtke@elm.az05.bull.com>
Subject:      RE: Tiger581 CDI for VW

Martin et al,

I sent the following message to Bob Hoover a couple of days ago and haven't heard his opinion yet. However, your experience has prompted me to go public with it (and it's Friday).

After you read it, I hope that you will take the time to open up the gaps on you plugs to about .050. I think that you will find that the performance of the CDI will be much better. At least, if your ignition wires hold up.

I welcome anybody else's comments about my 60's research as well.

Thanks, Mike

Michael A. Radtke - Z74 Voice: 602-862-4897 Bull FAX: 4853 13430 N. Black Canyon Hwy. Phoenix, AZ 85029 Email: m.radtke@bull.com

---------- >From: Michael A. Radtke[SMTP:m.radtke@elm.az05.bull.com] Sent: Tuesday, February 27, 1996 10:29 AM

Bob,

I went off an read your sermons on this.

CREDENTIALS:

I too experimented with CDI in the 60's. My company (do you remember Centralab?) was into ceramic capacitors and since I was into ignitions, we looked at building capacitors just for that market. Thus I got a lot of experience.

(The capacitor was a failure. Our design used a very high dielectric strength ceramic that had extensive immunity to wide temperature ranges. Thus we only needed a single plate of about 2x4 cm for about 1 ufd. at 600v. The single plate construction was chosen to minimize the temperature problems as well. However, its downfall was the piezo-electric nature of the ceramic. Not only did it sing, but it often fractured itself. Not a good plan.)

POINT:

One thing that I discovered was that all the talk about wider plug gaps was not about a benefit, but was about a necessity. My experience was that for narrow gaps, CDI performed worse than Kettering. An oscilloscope and a few experiments soon showed why.

It turns out that time was the overriding issue. The time constant of a inductive discharge system (Kettering) is L/R and a CDI R*C. Thus, in a CDI, a lengthy spark requires a lot of R. And, since the energy of the system (other than the not insignificant radiated impulse) is dissipated in R, the R better be in the spark, and not the wiring or other components. The solution is a large gap.

Well, this is easily accomplished, but leads to a second problem. That is very high voltage. Actually, it's not the high voltage that is the problem as much as the spark plug wires not being designed for it. After my <CRL>tm capacitor fiasco, I continued personal involvement with solid state ignitions. I eventually abandoned CDI because my cars had so many problems with plug wires in wet weather, which I had plenty of where I was living at the time. I moved to an inductive discharge approach using a power transistor biased as a current source to charge the coil and act as the switch. I found this approach every bit as performant as the CDI, and I could maintain manufacture's recommended plug gaps and thus keep the plug voltages under control.

COMPARISON:

Spark energy: Inductive Discharge Ignition (IDI) is limited by the coil inductance. CDI by the discharge capacitor. Increasing either has the side effect of decreasing the maximum spark rate full output can be achieved at.

Maximum rate: IDI is limited by the voltage available, probably 12V and the inductance of the coil. CDI is limited by the high voltage power supply current and the size of the discharge capacitor. Both could be limited by point dwell, but both systems electronically ignore this and use a fixed spark quench time before beginning the charge cycle.

Spark duration: Discussed above.

My conclusion from this was that electronic IDI was a better system.

TIME FLIES:

I continued to use IDI until my cars came with solid state ignitions. I then jumped to the conclusion that they too were IDI systems and not CDI. However, your notes imply that CDI is the current standard.

THE QUESTION:

Is CDI alive and well in current automotive design? What was done about the high voltage issue?

Thanks, Mike