Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Mar 1996 10:06:00 -0800 (PST)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@gi.com>
Subject:      Re: questions on temp gauges

>> option is to bolt it in with the #3 sparkplug. I feel bad about >> contradicting David Schwarze, but it's feasible: you only need to bend a >> right angle into the VDO CHT sensor. > >Been there, done that. Still didn't fit - not enough clearance. But it >it works for you, great! I don't know what's different on your engine, >but something has to be, cause there is NO WAY that sucker would fit >under _my_ spark plug. :) > >> The CHT gauge kit is, like, "self-powered." :-) The heat will generate >> tiny amounts of current in the sensor (forgot the term for this >> phenomenon) > >I believe it's "thermocouple".

I thought a thermocouple was a variable-resistance device, that changed its resistance with temperature? You still have to "power" it from an outside source. Most gauges I've seen, such as the water temp gauge in the V6anagon, take in 12V from your ignition switch, route it thru the gauge, then out the other side, thru a LONG wire back to the sender on the engine, which varies its resistance as I mentioned. The gauge actually measures the amount of current that the sender lets flow through it to ground (the metal of the engine it's mounted on).

Does the CHT gauge kit you mentioned, have NO connnection to any voltage source? Oops, then, *never mind*... perhaps a peizoelectric device of some kind? :^)

--------------------------------------------------------------------- Steve Maher smaher@gi.com '80 V6anagon w/Chevy 2800 '66 Mustang Coupevertible, for sale

Check out the cars at http://www.lookup.com/homepages/76242/home.html

*** What part of "Shall not be Infringed" don't you understand? *** ---------------------------------------------------------------------