Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Mar 1996 11:25:41 -0800 (PST)
From:         Jeffrey Olson <jjolson@u.washington.edu>
Subject:      Re:  Wood Westie Interiors (T2)

> >>Also- since I am chief designer of the cabinets I am looking for > >> suggestions on the ultimate layout and configuration. I would gladly > >> listen to any advice about what you would add / subtract from your > >> current setup.

I disliked having a built in stove. I also prefer to sit across a table from my dining partner. My first bus, a 67 Camper of USA I believe it was, had the icebox/sink right behind the passenger seat. I installed a plywood wall from sink unit to ceiling. Good for hanging things. Behind the driver's seat was a seat with storage under it. The clothes cabinet was on the passenger side behind the swing out doors. The bed/couch was up against the driver's side. The table swung up between the two facing seats. Inside cooking involved putting a stove on the table or sink behind the passenger seat. I liked the option of taking the propane stove outdoors and having easy access to the icebox from outside. I also liked the "cozy" feeling of having the cabinets on the passenger side. This setup felt like I could integrate indoor and outdoor living more effectively.

I also owned an 82 diesel in which I installed the westphalia interior. It felt awkward and an inefficient use of space. I didn't like the swing out table. I found I prefered being able to cook outside. This setup also felt "exposed" more than the 67's setup. Definitely an opinion here...

Jeffrey Olson Seattle, Washington