Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Mar 1996 13:32:00 -0800 (PST)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@gi.com>
Subject:      RE: Followup: engine cooling non-problem

Well, the hits just keep comin' in...

Some things I didn't specify, sorry:

I've heard that watercooled vanagons have the cooling-fan switch mounted on the radiator, so the fan comes on when the radiator is hot enough (true?)

However, in the V6anagon, the Chevy 2800 in it, has both the temp gauge sensor and the radiator-fan sensor switch, mounted on the engine itself, very close together near the hot-water outlet that sends the coolant from the engine to the radiator. So, in theory, both the fan and the gauge should keep pretty much in step with the actual temperature of the engine.

The thermostat of this beast, is mounted just downstream of these two temp sensors-- as usual, right where the hose leaves the engine. It may well be stuck open-- I've had this happen in cars that have sat for a while (months), as the V6anagon did after the PO fried the clutch. Or, there may not even be a thermostat mounted in there-- a common hot-weather California trick, tho it's a bad idea (slow warmup, inconsistent running temp).

Anyway, from the way the car ran so cool back when the fan was running continuously (the thermostat should have choked off most of the flow at cooler temps, making the cooling fan irrelevant-- Citations take a 195 thermostat that doesn't open till the engine's pretty warm), I have a hunch there's either a bad thermostat, or none at all.

BUT... (here's grist for all you V6anagon hecklers' mills) the thermostat housing on this fore-and-aft mounted V6, is directly under the sheet metal that's under the front (FIF) of the engine hatch. It's jammed right up against the edge of the metal, where the air seal probably goes in the T4 engine installation, and offhand looks like a real b*tch to get to, tho I haven't tried yet. The PO said that, to replace the clutch, he removed the mounts for the engine and tranny, lowered the whole shebang to the ground(!), and then jacked up the bus around it. I may need to copy this trick. Maybe in the summer, also to re-mount the water pump cover which has a ton of permatex squeezing out from under it and leaks oil.

As regards plumbing, the PO did indeed route the heater outlets to the heater, and the radiator outlets to the radiator. Size difference in the outlets make that almost impossible to get wrong (famous last words). However, he did use fairly narrow radiator hoses to the radiator-- they are actually very large (and very long!) heater hoses, 1" inside diameter, which I'm sure are smaller diameter than the original Citation radiator hoses. But, when everything's working, it seems to have plenty of cooling capacity. Control of that capacity seems to be the problem now, which I'm just starting to get a handle on. Now that the fan's doing its thing as designed, I hope that a thermostat replacemant and coolant-recovery tank, will complete the puzzle.

Thanks again for the help, friends! :^)

--------------------------------------------------------------------- Steve Maher smaher@gi.com '80 V6anagon w/Chevy 2800 '66 Mustang Coupevertible, for sale

Check out the cars at http://www.lookup.com/homepages/76242/home.html

*** What part of "Shall not be Infringed" don't you understand? *** ---------------------------------------------------------------------