Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         22 Mar 1996 00:20:10 GMT
From:         Norman_Leong@BayNetworks.COM (Norman Leong)
Subject:      Windshield crack(s) repair

Hi, all

Just got a couple of windshield cracks repaired the other day; I guess my karma took a turn for the worse and 'got two rock chips within a span of 10 days.

Anyway, as I was pondering life about the first crack (and watching it spread across the windshield in the process), I got another one on the way home.

So, I had called around and the concensus is that if the length of the crack is greater than the diameter of a quarter, windshield repairers don't want to fix them. "Replace the windshield..." = $$$ ($400+ for an EV, installed).

OK, so I realize that all I need to pay is the deductible, blah,blah,blah, BUT, I wanted to hang onto the original windshield as long as possible on the outside chance that the MGs (as Tim P. likes to call them) mess up and I end up with a leaky seal.

Long story short, this one fellow agrees to look at the cracks (a 7 incher, and a small little 0.5 incher) and manages to stop further progress of the cracks by drilling a couple of small holes through the glass and then forcing a resin bonding agent into the gap in the glass and fusing the glass back together. The end result is that the outline of the original crack is still there, but you REALLY have to look to notice it, and the total cost was $75, which I'm checking to see if insurance will cover (waive the deductible).

If you're pondering life w/ a small crack, don't think about it too long, as it really is better to try and fix them when they're small because they're less likely to split on you later on.

Norman nleong@baynetworks.com