Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Mar 1996 02:41:59 -0500
From:         Gcarlen@aol.com
Subject:      Re: 86 Vanagon CV boots replacement

In a message dated 96-03-21 10:34:49 EST, schroszy@nslsilus.org writes:

>My van has one torn CV boot. I was wondering is it an easy procedure to >replace. Which is the best replacement part (original VW or other) for the >money to get? Does the tire have to be removed? What tools are needed? Is >it easy to do a whole set of 4 at the same time. Thank you for any info. > >

With only one boot torn (as apposed to dryrotted), I would only replace the one boot. You should, however, clean & repack the CV since the possibility of dirt getting to it is almost assured.

If it is one of the inner boots, simply remove the six screws holding the boot & CV joint to the transmission. The axle will drop down and the CV joint can be GENTLY tapped off the axle spline with a hammer. (I use a plasitc hammer to prevent damage to the CV joint). Clean the CV joint in degrease and thouroughly dry. Repack with a high quality CV grease. Do not use all purpose lithium grease. It will not withstand the high temperatures and motion of the CV joint.

Install the new boot on the drive shaft. Then install the CV joint on the spline of the shaft. (This is the tricky part). It will be difficult to align the spline and the grooves of the CV joint but a little patience and a few gentle taps of a plastic hammer you will have the CV joint in place. Then realign the drive shaft/CV joint and install the six bolts.

If it is the outer CV joint, you will have to remove the drive shaft. Remove the tire, brake drum, brakes & hardware, and brake backing plate. This will give you access to the CV joint housing. There are four bolts holding the bearing assembly to the CV joint housing. Remove these and the entire bearing assembly will slide off the axle spline. The CV joint will than rest on the bottom of the CV joint housing. Then follow the steps above to remove the axle assembly from the transmission.

Reverse the order to reassemble. I use thin hose clamps (from FLAPS) instead of the ones that come with most CV boots. They seem to fit better. Don't forget to adjust the brake shoes and bleed the brake line.

This is just a basic description of how to replace a CV joint. If your CVs are clicking at all, its time for repacement. Some folks say replace both from the same axle and some say replace all four at once. The theory is that if one fails, the other(s) are also weak and more stress will be put on the weaker CV thus causing premature failure of the weak CV. It also could be that it is only a matter of time before the other(s) fail since they are weak.

Anyway, the procedure is not very difficult. I would recommend acquiring Bentleys and reviewing before starting in. Block out about half a day if you haven't done one before. The basic hand tools are needed. The only special tools I can think of are: and 8mm allen wrench for the CV joint bolts, a 32mm? socket for the axle nut, a breaker bar to help get that axle nut off, and a torque wrench. Instead of an allen wrench, I use an 8mm allen socket so I can torque the CV bolts correctly. I also found a 12in socket extension bar to help reach the CV bolts.

Finally, after about 100 and again at 500 miles, check the torque on the CV bolts to make sure they are secure. I bought my CV joints from JC Whitney at $65 each along with the boots for about $5 ea. One of the CVs failed within the first 100 miles but JCW promply replaced it. Things have been fine for the past 35k since I replaced all 4 of my CVs.

Good luck,

-Gregg 85 Westy, 76 Goldwing, 51 Plymouth, 75 Mercedes.