Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Mar 1996 06:54:12 -0500 (EST)
From:         RGOLEN@umassd.edu
Subject:      EV toys and projects

During the past couple of weeks I managed to add a couple of toys to my EV. The first was the rear fog light (which I bought during the trip to France...btw I will be back in France if anyone wants a Rear Fog..approx $45). I had originally thought that the "rectangle" in the corner piece of the rear bumper was the exact shape for the rear fog....its not. So I spent about half an hour designing a template for the fog. Next I mounted the template on the rear bumper (after covering the "rectangle" with masking tape). Once the template was centered, I traced the opening with a black magic marker (that's why the masking tape).

Now I had the exact shape traced onto the bumper. Got out the trusty Makitta drill and sabre saw and went to work. In about 10 minutes I had the hole cut and shaped exaclty. At which point the light unit just popped into place!.

Unfortunately, the US models don't have the pre-wired harness for the rear fogs. So I have sort of a "Polish installation" ... the light is there..but no wiring. I figure once I get around to putting on the front lights, then I'll take care of ALL of the wiring.

The other project was to mount my airplane compass on the dash. About 8 years ago a friend gave me one of those semi-football-shaped airplane compasses. I originally had it mounted on the dash of my 86 GTI. Well the GTI is in storage (my son is getting it when he gets his license this summer). It looked like this would be a straightforward job....drill three holes (two screws..and one for wires), pop out the little panel next to the center vents to get access to the area under the dash.

Well, I popped out the panel, and there is a metal bracket back there which aparently is used to mount an additional four switches (as if the EV didn't have enough room for switches already). So I had to pop out the center vents. It takes two screws to remove the vent. One came out easily...the other, well, let's just say I had to get "Mideavel on its butt (or head)"

Once the vent piece was out, the compass was in and wired in about 10 minutes. I'm glad that I don't have to rely on the compass for precission navigation however. When I turn on the vent fan, the compass adds about 20 degrees to the previous heading.

Now for my future project. I bought a book in Germany on how to convert the T4 into a camper (actually this publisher does one for each of the four generations). One of the neat little items is a large drawer which fits under the MV's luggage shelf between the two cabinets. So I'll get some lumber and invite my carpenter friend over...give him a case of beer...and let him build it.

Ric