Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Mar 1996 10:44:08 -0800 (PST)
From:         "J. Stutsman" <johnnys@u.washington.edu>
Subject:      Re: What Grease to use on the Steering Box? ('81)

On Fri, 22 Mar 1996 DHaynes57@aol.com wrote:

> Any Litium Moly grease will do the job fine. Make extra suer there is no > dirt or grit on the rack. Also, while the rack is open, chesk the bushings > for any play. If the rack itself can be moved up/down at all, it is worn out > and needs rebuilding. This wear will cause the same tire wear effects as an > american car with a worn "idler" arm. > Dennis. >

Hello Dennis and List Members, Thank You for the information, I'll be sure to check out the rack for up and down play. This will be the first time I am going to see these parts up close and personal I imagine it will take me quite a while figure out exactly how things are supposed to work. Reading and doing are two different things and I want to be some one who can do. If you have any more tips a beginner might miss please pass them along. I am still waiting for the tools to come from Harbor Freight. If they come today or tomorrow I'll try this job this weekend if not it will have to wait for next weekend. I am also planing on doing the shocks in the next couple of weeks. After I have put everything back together I am going to go get the front end inspected and an alignment. Luckly this is a recreational vehicle for my family and it can sit without use for a while. The rack boots and tie rod end came form Bus Boys yesterday. The rack boots were $12 a pair, made in Germany, original VW equipment. The tie rod end is an after market part and is a little different from the original, it use a nylok nut instead of a nut and pin. It looks like the tie rod end should work just fine. The tie rod end was made by I think Remco, and cost $22.50. I am buying the KYB gas shocks from Performance Suspension Technology, http://www.p-s-t.com/, for $119 for 4.

Thank You. johnny Stutsman '81 Westy Oceanographer I |Work (206)685-9288 U of Washington |Home (206)784-1254 Sch. of Ocean.;Box 357940 |Fax (206)685-3351 Seattle, WA 98195-7940 |email johnnys@u.washington.edu http://www.ocean.washington.edu/research/sil/index.html