Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 22 Mar 1996 01:52:48 +0000
From:         Charlie Callahan <charliec42@ilinkgn.net>
Subject:      Rambling vanagon story

Howdy, just sifting through all the rubbage of vanagon info.. ..I won't be as wordy in the future, but I have the uncontrollable urge to vent my Bus Story...

I've got a 85 vanagon that's a repo resto.. ? I mean, it's been parked a _lot_ for financial reasons ..so far as I can tell, the original 3rd owner drove it till 'it made a noise', parked it, and it eventually got repo'ed. Guess they figure they got their money's worth.. Anyways, I see this van for sale by the bank; $500 and a description of a 'seal problem'..I pass on it, being leery of such things. After later months of restructuring the mechanics of my Super Beetle, I felt, "Yes, someday, I'll get a van..". But that one got bought by, let's call him owner (a). ..months pass; a particular tune rambled onto my radio just as I notice this van for sale on the side of the road..karma was screaming at me that day.. ..anyways, took a test drive; no temp gauge (later fixed), and impossible shifting. Excellent negotiating tools :).. This guy has bought it from owner a. He tells me (a) got a $400 tuneup by our local vw mechanic, took his finely running machine and promptly trashed the transmission, provoking the resale (Not enough patience, I guess). Since it was on the highway and within 3 miles of the tuneup, I suppose it wasn't stunt driving..

So guy #2, call him owner b, he gets it and finds a transmission in Atlanta for $450. Installs it, and puts the van in the lot where (c),me, finds it. The problem, which I don't know what parts were re-used, at least what I found was the shifter linkage was worn out and tended to fall out of the socket. $25 part, I ordered it and installed it (later) on the spot. Good planning, selling a car in a parts store lot! I just wonder if that $25 part trashed the old transmission...

So, what did I take up all your time for this? anecdote? amusement? well, the funny thing is, years ago.. I saw this van when it was new, hundreds of miles away, and while conspiring someday to own a vanagon, never thought it'd be the exact same one.. :)

---end vw bus story---