Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 23 Mar 1996 00:34:47 -0500
From:         Vdubdude@aol.com
Subject:      Re: fiberglass polymer/wax removal

>In ignorance I used Nu-Finish on my fiberglass pop-top. The white haze >refused to buff. I figured it would at lease protect, so I left it for the >winter but it never came off. Anyone know something non-abrasive that melts >nasty polymer/wax from the uneven surface without hurting the paint? I've >twice used a liquid from a cleaning supply store (no listed ingrediants). > It's better, but all that rubbing and hosing still has left a lot. Simple >Green, amonia, turpentine, blowtorch, etc.? > >I spent today at Wal-Mart trying to compare Mothers, Meguires, etc. with my >Kit carnauba wax. I'm open to suggestions to better protect and bring out >the maroon color! > >FoxhntrPat@aol.com

Did someone mention ignorance?

I'm not really sure how to buff an uneven surface like a camper top, but to remove a haze of NU-FINISH from one I can suggest a product called Goof-off. I purchase Goof-off from my local True Value hardware store. That's the only place that I can find it. It also takes off tree sap, road tar, dried latex paint, the oxidized top layer from black plastic and rubber, and anything even remotely associated with oil, grease, wax, etc. It is a serious remover and will NOT disturb automotive finishes. I recommend a light scrubbing in with a medium bristled cleaning brush and immediately wiping off with a paper towel. Then, use Zymol to protect the paint. It will not haze like many "inferior" waxes. It may or may not take off the oxidation, but at least it will protect which is what the paint is supposed to do in the first place. Warning: do not attempt to buff with rubbing compoud an irregular surface such as a pop-top. you will remove all of the paint from only the top of the "waves" of the surface. I speak from costly experience.

Ric (not to be confused with that OTHER Ric) VdubDude@aol.com