Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 23 Mar 1996 08:27:57 -0500
From:         DNeu@aol.com
Subject:      Vanagon Engine Stabilizer

The engine/transaxle of my '85 Westy has always moved around a lot. Even when it was new, people would see the exhaust system wagging like the tail on a dog and ask me if something was wrong. It's got 121K on the clock and I've changed ALL of the motor mounts and the front tranny mount without any improvement. The symptoms are surging upon gear change and then acceleration. I also notice it during constant slow, steady and level cruising.

I've thought of installing an engine stabilizer. This is a shock absorber like device that installs between the engine and the frame. I first saw this device on MotorWeek on TV. Pat Goss installed one on his Ford Explorer. I guess Ford 4WD's have traditionally had soft motor mounts and problems with the type of surging I've described. I've also learned that an engine stabilizer came stock on some Ford escorts and other 4 cylinder cars.

Has anybody installed one of their on their waterboxer? Is there a product commercially available or do I have to devise my own? Where would you attach it? ? ? To the head?

Please respond me directly at DNeu@aol.com as well as the listserver. I've tried, but I just can't keep up with all the great mail you people put out. I'll still subscribe whenever I can afford the AOL time required to download 30 pieces of mail per day. I'll also look forward to meeting some of you on west coast trips Ala Busgirl.