Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 25 Mar 1996 10:25:00 -0800 (PST)
From:         "Maher, Steve (SD-MS)" <SMAHER@gi.com>
Subject:      RE: End play (was: Siezed pancake on table)

>Speaking of end-play. How does everyone check their end play? > >Do you have a fancy gauge, do you do the goofy Muir thing, or do you have >some other method?

Sorry for the lack of detail in this reply, but...

Many years ago, I got a small, simple gadget for measuring crank end-play at the flywheel. Don't remember where I got it-- one of the mail-order firms that advertise in DBs&HVWs, I believe-- it was a long time ago.

It was a machined piece of steel that bolted to one of the engine mount holes, and held a free bolt over the surface of the flywheel. You gave the pulley a firm shove to extend the flywheel out to its maximum distance from the engine. Then take your multi-bladed feeler gauge, put the .015 blade under the screw, and screw it down gently until it just presses the blade against the flywheel. Then you turned a stop nut down on the bolt to hold it in this position. Make sure the .015 blade is still snug, but not crushed of course.

Then yank hard on the pulley to pull the flywheel snug against the engine-- hopefully it will only move a few thousandths of an inch if your end play is correct. Without moving the screw, start trying thicker blades under it, till you find the one that now fits as snugly as the .015 one did.

Subtract the thin one from the thick one, and that's your end play.

I don't remember where I got this gadget-- has anyone seen one advertised by any of the mail order outfits or FLAPSs?

--------------------------------------------------------------------- Steve Maher smaher@gi.com '80 V6anagon w/Chevy 2800 '66 Mustang Coupevertible, for sale

Check out the cars at http://www.lookup.com/homepages/76242/home.html

*** I'm a Native American, born in Illinois. Or does ancestry make a difference after all? *** ---------------------------------------------------------------------