Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 03 Mar 96 20:45:39 CST
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: I heard a 'nasty' rumor!

On Sun, 3 Mar 1996 20:06:37 -0600 Jim Digennaro said: >>VW's thinking of putting a different engine in the Eurovan? The Eurovan >>is the new Vanagon. > >Not even close!

leave us not forget: the "Vanagon" body style is STILL being made in South Africa ... with an inline 5-cylinder engine, no less. so how much trouble would it be for them to produce a left-hand-drive version for the u.s.?? with a wabbit engine?? surely not as much trouble as it was for the mexican plant to completely re-engineer the bread-loaf for a water-cooled engine.

>drives the big thing. Even in Europe. But with VW's base prices about 5K >more than the others why would anyone buy a VW. I can buy a caravan for

that would be the only problem i see with the SA Vanagon ... price. those things are pretty high-priced down there already.

>. VW's American organization is too >>dumb to know how to sell it maybe... > >On this we both can agree.

yup. even too dumb to know WHO to sell it to.

joel