Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 26 Mar 96 21:10 AST
From:         A_OLIVARES@upr1.upr.clu.edu
Subject:      The EcoVanagon is finally home!

Hi all! After one year carefully seeking and bothering you guys with questions my friend Pucho (the Vanagon guru in Puerto Rico) spotted a nice looking 1985 Vanagon GL, for sale. After several days Pucho listened to this radio station announcing the same van and inmediately he called me, gave me the owner's phone number and then I contacted him. The owner was asking $3,500 for the van, that is pretty reasonable for puertorrican standards. Later just by chan- ce I met the guy in a Boys Scout meeting and he showed me the vanagon. At that time I didn't have the money to buy it and decided to sell quickly my Mazda Pick-up truck, but unafortunately I had to wait two months. When I got the bucks in my hand (much less than $3,500) I called the guy to see if he still had the van. Surprisingly he said YES! My friend and me went to see the van again (three hours of driving from San Juan to San German) and found minoral problems like: the vanagon made a clunk noise when we started it and that the engine supports were worn out. In the other side, the engine was completely rebuilt including new heads (by the way the heads were made in Spain and they have better design and keep the engine more cooler) 6k miles ago. The body is pretty solid, it doesn't have major dents, the original paint is like new and the interiors are more than in mint conditions. Everything in the van works. After two hours of dealing the wife of the owner came and reduced the price down to $2,300 and I almost died of a heart attack when I heard that. She told me that the van was brought six years ago from Massachusetts (Hi you all UMASS fans!) and showed me the sales' bill and the title. She decided that I should have the van because they didn't have space and use for the van. After a week the Vanagon had new engine supports and now it purrs like a cat when I drive her to work. Since I'm an ecology professor my kids decided to name her the EcoVanagon. So now in our garage sits my lovely and reliably (not to mention that she is my relaxing machine when I go camping) 1978 Westfalia and the 1985 EcoVanagon GL, the new member of the family. Oh well, enough is enough, thank you for your patience and for understanding this VW freak.

Saludos!

Angel 78 Caribbean Westy 85 EcoVanagon GL