Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Mar 1996 04:45:03 GMT
From:         kahuna67@ix.netcom.com (mike)
Subject:      questions about 79 westy I Mike might buy (longiish)

Hi all, Mike again

Thanks for the responses so far. I am indebted. Now in true American 90's fashion, let me try to build more debt. I looked at the bus. Unfortunately after dark and it's parked where I couldn't get too far under it without a lot of effort. So I gave it a general going over and talked to owner about an hour. Owner in 20's. Says dad bought new in '79 as 3rd family car and used mostly just for camping until owner gets it to drive and has had it since about '87. Says 100K on engine but odometer broken. Back driver side has non-sliding window and back passenger doesn't open in any way. Owner claims these are original. Bondo in two places on side from late middle eighties are both from minor accidents. Damage to front (dents) from drunk driver while bus parked. Rear driver side corner is all dented up. Sliding door is not used and has tape etc. to help keep out air. Apparently bus was roled in '89 completely over. Wouldn't know it to look at though. Both cabin doors were replaced then and seem to fit fine (except drivers side which has slightly bent wheel arch. this doesn't jam door but leaves a little space for air to rush in.) Hinge bent on pop top but top still pops fine. Interior has dents/holes in sliding door panel and roof liner but otherwise excellent. Has all original curtains, screens etc. Didn't drive it but he started it. It was definately cold when he started it. It idled after a moment or so of him controlling it with the pedal and idled fine afterward for about ten minutes. Smoke at first then cleared after couple minutes. Revved up a few times and let back down swiftly.. only a couple really small pin hole size back fires. Claims regular service and oil. Oh yeah.. oil. It leaks some.. he's not sure from where. You could see a little build up under engine but no puddle or spot where it's been parked all winter. He disconected heaters completely because of oil smell coming through. Could smell oil burning when running but didn't appear to be coming from exhaust. He says when he daily drove it last summer he'd just top it occasionly .. guesses losing less than a quart a week. Driver front tire is worn out of balance with passenger. Checked for rust under front floor pan.. in back of front wheel wells and on around front axle at wheel and center connections. Not any rust at all really. None in floor pans at all. Engine compartment also looked tight.

Questions.. given windows.. could this be a 79? How much trouble am I looking at for body work? It seems to run good and he says well cruise fine on highway at 80 and a little above even. Said no major problem since new except the accidents and only didn't start once.. was dead battery.

My thoughts. Check more thoroughly for rust underneath and if interested take to mechanic for compression and general look over including the front end.

What do you guys think about the body work though.. Except for sliding door not working.. you'd never know or even begin to guess it was rolled. He said something broken that hooks to roller for sliding door too. Door does work.. just takes finess to open and close it. Camper top works but is really beat up.. is this hard to replace?

Thanks again Mike