Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Mar 1996 11:13:27 -0500
From:         michael.heron@utoronto.ca (Michael Heron)
Subject:      65 ex-camper panel van FS (kinda long)

1965 VW Panel Van from Idaho (i.e.quite rust free). Van was coverted by ASI to a camper years ago.The van has had the cheesy camper interior removed and is in all senses a panel van except for those infamous aftermarket camper windows installed. I could kick all the aftermarket companies that hacked windows (3 on drivers side one in each of the cargo doors)

I would like to get $1000US for the bus or something close to that. Right now the bus is not running. To get it running would require major engine work (engine threw a rod) and personally i would redo the brake lines and wheel cylinder but that would be your choice :)

The bus is a 65' panel in velvet green. the worst areas are there are some pin holes below the cargo doos (like about 99% odf old busses) and the dent in the back

Unfrotunately the van has had those infamous aftermarket camper windows installed. i could kick all the aftermarket companies that hacked windows (3 on drivers side one in each of the cargo doors) in panel vans but this was done before i was born so there is not much i can do about it! hindsight is 20/20 i guess.

Believe it or not there is a vertical dent that runs from just below the window on the rear hatch to the top of the engine lid. I have a spare rear hatch that I would be prepared to throw in w/ the deal (rather than having to fiddle w/ the dented hatch)

I am also pretty sure that i have an undented engine lid that i could throw in. The worst part about the dent is the small pice of metal below the cargo door and above the engine door got dented in too and has resulted in the sheet metal above the engine (right near the "catch" for the rear hatch) being dented up, this would need to be pulled out, you could likely do this w/ a winch but i didn't want to monkey w/ it so i have left it be utnil i had the time.

The van is a bench seat model (and I will throw in the VW cab divider too :)

There is also was a sparetire holderr on the front of the van that i have removed but the four holes are still there.

The van is velvet green it also has a small metal "rail" screwed in to the roof that a tent would have originally attached to. Unfortunately the tent is long gone, and seeing as how the "rail" is also painted velvet green i thought it would be better to leave it for the time being.

The van is not "certified" but i do have the ownership. To certify ( i haven't had it checked out) it would require new brakes lines (don't have these) and wheel cylinders (do have these and they go w/ the van along w/ misc parts like cylinder heads, radio block off plates, spare uncracked sterring wheel, spare panel van cargo door) etc... it would also likely need new front windshields as they are kinda getting fogged.

The engine (SP 1600) threw a rod and that and has been sitting for about 4 years, so it would definately need engine work (haven't torn it apart to see the damage).

I am willing to dicker on the price as i would like to buy the another van ASAP :) lemme know if you are still interested

I have the registration for it so i can't see why you would get any hassles crossing in to the US. i have the old ownership from viriginia and idaho too if that would help. currently the car is registered under my name in ontario so i can't see why there would be any hassles's

michael