Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (March 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 27 Mar 1996 14:26:54 MST
From:         "Mike White" <MIKE.WHITE@law.utah.edu>
Subject:      Shaftola again!

A little mid-week non-humor:

I've mentioned it once I think, but a couple of months ago a friend discovered a wood-slat roof rack sitting on an old bus by the side of a house.

I desparately want a roof rack for the Pioneer, so about two weeks ago on a nice saturday afternoon we both got in our busses (he has a '64) and drove to the house.

Knowing most VW people are very cool and love to chat, I had high hopes to chew a little VW fat for a while and show each other our busses, or even better, we'd find a nice old lady who would be more than happy to dump the rack, or even the whole bus for cheap.

The tv lit up the blinds and it was apparent that someone was home as we approaced the door. My chest tightened a little as I was slightly nervous hoping I'd walk away with a roof rack.

Knock-knock-knock.

No answer.

Ding-dong.

No answer. Movement in house.

Knock-knock. Stand patiently.

Very disappointedly give up and start back to the buses. As we discussed our plans of where to go next, I caught out of the corner of my eye someone peeking out the blinds. Having learned my lesson previously in past religous proselyting efforts, I chose not to go back to the door.

A week passes. Again I'm at the same friends house, and we decided to try again. We loaded into his bus and headed over.

Knock-knock.

Tough looking cowboy woman answers the door.

"Hi, is that your old cool VW bus back there?"

"Uh, yeah, why?" she says in very defensive, accusitory voice.

"Well, me and my friend and I drive by here all the time and I noticed it has been sitting there and hasn't moved, and I was wondering if you want to sell the roof rack." I felt myself nervously say knowing I sounded like a punk creep.

A stern "No." is the reply.

"Oh.... Umm, well thanks."

Door shuts.

We leave depressed.

Rich my friend on the way home comes up with another plan to get the rack. He suggesed I go down there with 10 $20 bills and hold the money out and say "I want your roof-rack."

I plan to do so in two weeks.

Is $200 outrageous? The rack is in superb condition!

- Mike White

[Mail: mike.white@law.utah.edu - mwhite@eng.utah.edu] Visit my '57 23-Window VW BUS at: [http://cloud8.law.utah.edu/]